Sunday, November 17, 2024

Album of the Week: Forever for Now

This marks our final week of Song Challenge Double Down. Over the past twelve weeks, we've been taking song previously chosen for Yearlong Song Challenge, and reviewing the albums they came from here in Record Club. Hopefully this has been as fun for you as it has for me! YSC is ending soon, so this was nice to kinda reflect on that experience in this way (i.e. "hey, there's a lot of good music out there, and many ways to approach it!"). Record Club will exist forever, so it was also nice to mix things up a little bit for a few months. Enjoy one final YSC-inspired RC pick, and I'll see you on Friday.

Record Club:

WEEK 303 — November 17-23, 2024


Forever for Now
by LP

LISTEN:
Spotify | YouTube | Bandcamp | Apple

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY ZACH
BASED ON YSC SONG BY ALLISON

ALLISON'S SONG: "Tokyo Surprise" — Day 5, "A song with a geographical location in the title"

ZACH'S COMMENTS: "I was deep in the middle of a trip to the US for my brother's wedding when I was tasked to pick an Allison song, so I didn't have as much time to scour her picks as much as I would have normally. That's probably why I picked a song she picked so early on in YSC. I just didn't look through the whole list. LP was an artist I had never heard of, and 'Tokyo Sunrise' was a song I enjoyed and wanted to keep listening to after I was done. So I made an impulsive choice, and I'm happy with it."

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Pop, pop rock, singer-songwriter

RELEASED: June 2, 2014

LENGTH: 47:59

TRACKLIST:
  1. Heavenly Light
  2. Night like This
  3. One Last Mistake
  4. Tokyo Sunrise
  5. Salvation
  6. Your Town
  7. Free to Love
  8. Levitator
  9. Someday
  10. Savannah
  11. Into the Wild
  12. Forever for Now
BONUS TRACKS: Don't do 'em. "Road to Ruin" might show up on some copies and some streaming services. It's a bonus track. Don't do it.

LYRICS: Genius.com (with other bonus tracks, don't do it!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: they/them/their

ABOUT: LP is the stage name of Laura Pergolizzi, born March 18, 1981, in Huntington Station, NY. They started to use the moniker "LP" upon moving to NYC in 2004. LP started as a songwriter primarily, and their song "Love Will Keep You Up All Night" was recorded by the Backstreet Boys in 2007. They have also written songs for pop artists such as Rihanna and Christina Aguilera. Though they released a couple albums in the early '00s, Forever for Now is LP's first major-label album. Their Wikipedia page is filled with "featured on" credits from TV shows you've probably at least heard of. There was some recent controversy that might or might not be overblown. The most up-to-date info I have on LP is that they were at Paris Fashion Week 2024, and sang a song from a recent album.

DISCOGRAPHY: I'm usually calling albums "LPs" in this section, but I will refrain from using that particular phrasing temporarily due to the confusion it would stir. They are just albums today. LP has seven studio albums, and Forever for Now is their third. The most recent was Love Lines in 2023. I count three EPs for LP as well, and a live album.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: a 2014 interview with Medium (before they started using they/them pronouns)

WATCHING SOME SHIT: the title track on a TV show

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: The most pressing matter is that LP has a name that is a homonym to another Record Club alumnus: El-P of Run the Jewels. RC is currently on standby for when the obscure artists L Pee and El Pee release their debut albums.

More wordplay. "Forever" shows up again in the album title after Guster's Lost and Gone Forever. "Now" shows up for a third time, after Johnny Nash's I Can See Clearly Now and O.A.R.'s In Between Now and Then. "For" makes its fifth appearance in an album title, after Sorry for the Delay, Be Thankful for What You Got, Three Cheers for Disappointment, and Asking for a Ride. No, I did not include Fore! in that list.

LP is the shortest artist name we've ever had in Record Club, I'm pretty sure. They break a tie held by three-lettered artists PUP, Hum, BTS, IKE, and Joe, who were followed by four-lettered losers CHAI, MUNA, INXS, Yola, Mika, Ween, JVKE, Beck, Tool, and another artist who shall not be named again.

Oh, and this album was produced by Rob Cavallo, who famously produced Dookie and The Black Parade prior to this. Shit, should I have led with the actual music connections, instead of fucking around in the trenches of RC lore? Kid Harpoon is back after making his most prominent appearance in Week #1, with Maggie Rogers (and then later on Fine Line and Dance Fever). Isabella Summers is on here too; she's "the Machine" in Florence + the Machine, or at least was for the first few albums. There are so many names on these credits. The one I recognized was mastering engineer Bob Ludwig, who has worked with so many RC alumni that I cannot possibly list them here. After scrolling for what seemed like hours, I have found him to be the mastering engineer for the following RC albums specifically: Fetch the Bolt Cutters, We Are Not Your Kind, In Rainbows... honestly, there were too many credits to scroll through, I'm sorry. But this is not why you're here, to read about Bob Ludwig. You're here to listen to a new (to you) album by LP. So go forth, and forget I ever got caught up in the weeds of PREVIOUSLY ON.

~~~~~~~~~~

SONG CHALLENGE DOUBLE DOWN SCHEDULE

9/1 — Street Worms by Viagra Boys (Sunny's album chosen by Brianna) ✔
9/8 — Infinite Arms by Band of Horses (Zach's album chosen by Sara) ✔
9/15 — Sugar Ray by Sugar Ray (Pat's album chosen by vote) ✔
9/22 — Stankonia by OutKast (Joe's album chosen by Sunny) ✔
9/29 — A Little Bit of Mambo by Lou Bega (Gilson's album chosen by vote) ✔
10/6 — Bando Stone and the New World by Childish Gambino (Brianna's album chosen by Nate) ✔
10/13 — Manning Fireworks by MJ Lenderman (Maeve's album chosen by vote) ✔
10/20 — Bleed Out by the Mountain Goats (Nate's album chosen by Allison) ✔
10/27 — Infest by Papa Roach (Boober's album chosen by vote) ✔
11/3 — Born This Way by Lady Gaga (Sara's album chosen by Joe) ✔
11/10 — Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff (Bridget's album chosen by vote) ✔
11/17 — Forever for Now by LP (Allison's album chosen by Zach) ←

~~~~~~~~~~

RC CLASSIC ALBUM OF THE WEEK

Every week from now on, we're giving a quick re-listen to the RC album we covered five years ago exactly. Check out the quick reevaluation every Friday morning, before the regular reviews. Reevaluation, reflection, something like that.

WEEK 42: November 17-23, 2019
Tentanda Via by American Trappist

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

No comments: