Prompt: "A song titled 'The Underdog' by a band called Spoon from an album called Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga released in 2007"
Selected by Allison
"The Underdog"
Spoon
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, 2007
Happy birthday, Mom. We're not currently speaking "because of what happened." Your words, not mine. An oversimplification, sure, but not entirely inaccurate. I tried to explain that this was bigger than the election, but Facebook got to you first. I donated to the ACLU in your honor; call it harm reduction. I didn't send you the letter I wrote. My husband talked me down, and cooler heads prevailed. I might text you later if I can figure out how to wish you a happy birthday while striking the right tone. Or maybe I'll let this day pass without contact. That's the plan. That's the point. For now, at least. Until I think of something better, more productive. This shout into the void will have to do for now. So, let this song serve as a gift to you. I didn't pick it out, truth be told. I don't know what you listen to these days anyway. I think you think of yourself as an underdog, beaten down by a world turned against you, never doing anything wrong, just a victim of circumstance. It must be so lonely. Happy birthday. I hope you get what you want this year.
3 comments:
I have definitely pulled the "charity donation as a symbolic fuck you" move before too, and I gotta say, it's probably the best thing you could possibly do in situations like this (that, and blogging).
Ugh, Allison I'm sorry. That's really, really hard.
This is also a sad one!
Post a Comment