Prompt: "A song with a formal title in its, um, title"
Selected by Maeve
Spin Doctors
Pocket Full of Kryptonite, 1991
Formal titles are so antiquated and dumb... but also equally fun? The term "Queen" now has it's own life, so different from its monarchy roots. I'd find it hard to find someone who wouldn't respond positively to being called a queen. Similarly, "King" is a silly goofy name to call someone because it sounds sarcastic, unless you're (for instance) talking to my dog who does respond that that word as equally as he does to his name.
But, we can all agree that titles are bullshit right? I guess if we're specifically throwing it back to times of the royals (ignoring current British royalty)? While the person with the title is credited with everything, they're never necessarily the one making things happen. But to make this a more streamlined and generic thought, I think it's easy to not think that the small bullshit work is hard or takes any effort. This weekend, I had minimal plans, just dinner with friends on Saturday and then errands with friends and a hoagie pop-up reservation on Sunday, yet I felt jam-packed because I had so much "work" to do. It's completely self-imposed and my choice. I have two events coming up that I'm running. I have absolutely zero complaints about it—in fact, I genuinely take pride in these events because they're fun, people look forward to them, and I love coming up with creative ways to change, elevate and grow them from year to year. But that doesn't take away from how much time in the past month I've spent looking for venues, getting quotes, dealing with two different tickets reps from different teams, working on the math for different pricing, quoting merch, quoting catering, doing cost comparisons from years pasts, looking for someone to dress up as Santa, searching for inexpensive craft ideas, etc. But once again, this is a choice I've made and I love it, but also it's exhausting. And at this point as I write, I'm rolling my eyes so hard at myself because I'm complaining about spending my weekend sitting on my computer and making phone calls that will eventually make people happy, which really makes me happy.
But to tie this back to my original thought, I don't think most people realize that someone is actually doing all of this busy work, curating decisions and putting down large financial deposits. Admin tasks are real and important work... which also ties to my thoughts on my actual job where I cried multiple days in a row out of stress and frustration while working on a giant project, only to be the lone person not thanked by the artist on Instagram (tough). But I digress, I'm just thankful that there isn't some large looming figure who was born into the Double taking credit for getting great seats this year.
1 comment:
Fuck Instagram, here are a bunch of artists on Blogger saying: Thank you, Maeve. I will Venmo you at some point today.
Post a Comment