Saturday, November 30, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 166: Sunny

Prompt: "A song that was mentioned in a Song Challenge write-up but never chosen as the featured song by anyone"

Selected by Sunny

Song found on Day 116 in Brianna's write-up for "Catching Smoke" by King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard


"Mirage City"
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Flight b741, 2024

What keeps me coming back to PoYB is in a world of failing radio, overdefined algorithms, and the increasing challenge to make/keep friends, music discovery is difficult. RC has been a window into new and forgotten musics, and YSC has been that on steroids. Something to be thankful for.

What's extra fun is seeing all of the bands and genres that are in other's deep wheelhouses which are foreign to me. To see how differently we've all arrived to music. I still have to read that Emo book from Q1/Q2. I didn't know King Gizzard. I didn't know Dulli, but I did listen to all those tracks. I didn't know Crazy Town. I haven't listened to Sound of Music in 25 years, though I did get to that von Trapp brewery in VT. And those we've lost... RIP Crazy Town. RIP Quan. Plus all that I've forgotten due to my swiss cheese memory. Boy, what a year it's been.

I also note "Cotton Eye Joe" has still not been chosen this year?

1 comment:

Joe K said...

Dude, music is the fucking best. It's always cool to hear when someone actually discovers something new because of this dumb fucking blog.