Prompt: "A song that reminds you of your favorite recipe"
Selected by Allison
"This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)"
Iron & Wine and Ben Bridwell
Sing into My Mouth, 2015
Betcha thought I was gonna talk about beans.
I love cooking, but I'm not a recipe guy. When I was first learning to cook, I loved buying cookbooks, but they rarely got used. They're still packed up in a box in the basement after moving three years ago. Now, I use recipes for inspiration or confirmation that I'm on the right track (ratios, flavor profiles, steps in assembly), but I rarely follow them to the letter. I find that kind of cooking really boring. I let instinct take over, and it's worked out so far. In that, I haven't produced anything entirely inedible.
That said, I'm currently writing this blog post and simultaneously checking recipes and building my grocery list for Thanksgiving. Here's an ice-cold take—turkey fucking sucks. The best part of Thanksgiving (or any meal) is mashed potatoes, so this year, I'm making Boeuf Bourguignon (I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Boof Borgwignan," you're welcome) and entirely too much pomme puree for two people. While nothing quite says fuck American Thanksgiving like French food, nothing says home and comfort and love like a big bowl of mashed potatoes. Cozy comfort food shared between two people (and a dog) is my favorite recipe.
1 comment:
Honestly I was hoping y'all we're going to be having beans instead of turkey. I love turkey, but I think even the best turkey is only as good as the other shit you're shoveling into your mouth with it—mainly stuffing and gravy, but anything on that thxgiving plate, really. Turkey is good but complementary. Maybe it suffers if you consider it the main dish.
Post a Comment