Prompt: "A song that was mentioned in a Song Challenge write-up but never chosen as the featured song by anyone"
Selected by Allison
Nala, Simba, Timon, and Pumba (voiced by Beyoncé, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner, and Seth Rogen, respectively)
The Lion King: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2019
Ryan was one of my best friends growing up. We were in a close-knit group of kids in the neighborhood who would walk to school together. There was a core group of three of us, all oldest kids in the same grade, and we each had a younger sister. Ryan was the only boy. His mom was our Girl Scout troop leader, and he would tag along to meetings. I always teased him about being an honorary Girl Scout. Of course, no girl can just be friends with a boy. People have to make a whole thing about it. This song always made me cringe, because someone once drew parallels between Simba and Nala and Ryan and I. Gross. As if. We fought the accusations for years, but the more we protested, the more people talked. Ryan and I were apparently soul mates, destined to be together. At least, that was what all our friends said. And parents. Why do parents have to be so weird about boy-girl friendships? We eventually went on exactly one date the summer before our senior year of high school. It was forced. It was awkward. We didn't kiss. He came out in his freshman year of college.
1 comment:
I embedded this version of the song to avoid texting you at five in the morning about a repeat.
Willow totally has this friend right now, creepy talk from adults about young kids liking each other and all of it, and I will be revisiting this blog post in ten years when he comes out.
Post a Comment