Prompt: "A song titled 'The Underdog' by a band called Spoon from an album called Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga released in 2007"
Selected by Zach
"The Underdog"
Spoon
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, 2007
Arab Friend
What's become of you, my Arab friend?
We used to talk at the water fountain
in broken Hebrew, before we switched
to English.
You told me you were from Beit Hanina.
"Have you heard of it?" you asked
with a smile, and with grace.
We taught each other new words.
I imagined your life in the village
with pesky little brothers
fighting over video games.
The smell of cardamom and mujadara wafts in from the kitchen.
Your mother stirring, and tasting, and adding to the large pot
always cooking over the fire.
But these days, when I see you
at the water fountain,
your eyes stay low,
your smile has vanished.
We still pass in the hallway.
You walk by me
avoiding proximity to the space I
occupy
with some innate radar.
You seem to
occupy
no space, yourself.
You walk as if you haven't seen me
at all.
Are you scared of me, now?
Have you simply hated me all along?
I don't think I ever hated you
but of course I can't be sure.
Now I only learn new words
from books and movies and lunchtime chats
with other friends.
My new lunch partners cover their heads
with knitted discs
instead of hijabs.
I pass by your office and glance inside.
You've locked eyes with your computer screen.
You don't look up.
I open my mouth
but close it just as quickly.
I won't force you to speak that language I love.
I imagine that each word you say to me
sticks like poison in your mouth
before you expel it from your body
like vomit
like blood.
I miss you, my Arab friend
but maybe it's time
To let you go.
If I only keep you around
to convince myself
that I can play both sides,
that I'm compassionate,
and sweet,
I'll never know
what's in my heart
and you'll never
be yourself.
I feel your presence down the hall.
That smile you gave me
at the fountain
once upon a time
hangs in the air.
I watch its particles fade fast.
I turn off the light,
close the door,
and head the other way.
Alone.
3 comments:
Is this an A.S.S. Creative Writing Lab crossover?!?!
Sad one!
YES IT IS
Post a Comment