I will say this, though. Puke on Your Birthday strives to be an inclusive place. Those who disagree with me on any number of subjects are still invited to participate in the blogging. The worst that could happen is that I publish something that I vehemently disagree with, and then meet the author in the comment section to hash it out in public. There are limits, of course, but I find it hard to imagine that there would be anyone who would find themselves regularly hanging around PoYB while also being a racist, or sex abuse apologist, or nazi, or conservative.
On that last point—I find it so hard to imagine that a conservative individual would find themselves hanging out here, because I find it hard to believe that there would be any values espoused on these blogging pages to which they could relate to. It doesn't make sense logically. It doesn't make sense that someone voting for trump would want to leave their bubble and spend time here, on a blog whose authors by and large—and to varying degrees I'm sure—fucking despise trump.
If you are not voting for Kamala Harris, then there is nothing I can do here and now, two days before your vote is due, to change your mind. But I will say that you should open your fucking eyes to what we're trying to do here on Puke on Your Birthday, and start to use whatever critical thinking skills you have to really, truly consider how your views conflict with the views presented on this blog. And I'd ask that, instead of declining to vote for Kamala Harris and being silent about it like a fucking coward, that you write out your views, sign your name to it, send it to me, let me publish it, and then we'll see what kind of response it will get, from me and maybe from others.
I (Joe K***) am telling you that, if you do not vote for Kamala Harris, then we most likely have very little in common. And if that's the case, then I think you need to either get the balls to meet me in the comments under your own name, or stop visiting Puke on Your Birthday.
Anyways, enjoy the Lady Gaga album.
Record Club:
WEEK 301 — November 3-9, 2024
LISTEN:
~~~~~~~~~~
PICKED BY JOE
BASED ON YSC SONG BY SARA
JOE'S COMMENTS: Honestly, anything to distract me from whatever bullshit goes down on Tuesday. Sure, why not, yeah, let's listen to Lady Gaga, I can use this as a distraction for sure. I already know some of the songs. I already have opinions about some of the songs. I have some good Lady Gaga memories. I have some things to say. Let me focus on this task, instead of doom-scrolling. Sound good? Good.
~~~~~~~~~~
ALBUM DETAILS
GENRE: Electropop, dance-pop, electro house, synthpop, post-industrial, glam rock, futurepop, French electro
RELEASED: May 23, 2011
LENGTH: 61:07
TRACKLIST:
- Marry the Night
- Born This Way
- Government Hooker
- Judas
- Americano
- Hair
- Scheiße
- Bloody Mary
- Bad Kids
- Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)
- Heavy Metal Lover
- Electric Chapel
- Yoü and I
- The Edge of Glory
LYRICS: Genius.com
~~~~~~~~~~
ARTIST DETAILS
PRONOUNS: she/her/hers
ABOUT: Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta was born on March 28, 1986, in Manhattan, NY. She is known as Lady Gaga. She is a singer, songwriter, actress, activist, and a lot of other things too. But for our purposes here in Record Club, she's a singer. She's been a singer her whole life, or at least since she was a teenager doing open mic nights. Her breakthrough in the music industry came in 2008, when she released The Fame and a couple #1 singles. Basically all her albums debut at #1. The acting, too—she was the first woman to win an Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Golden Globe Award, and Grammy Award in one year. These blurbs are designed under the assumption that maybe there exists someone reading it who doesn't know that week's artist; the idea that someone reading this doesn't know who Lady Gaga is is really pushing it. She has her own non-profit organization, the Born This Way Foundation, which supports the wellness of young people. She has been named the "Queen of Pop." Lady Gaga is voting, and you should too.
DISCOGRAPHY: Five true studio albums for Lady Gaga (though that's combining The Fame and its deluxe rerelease, The Fame Monster). Born This Way is her second album. Then we have Artpop in 2013, Joanne in 2016, and Chromatica in 2020. There are also two collab albums with Tony Bennett, as well as a main role in the creation of four soundtrack albums, most recently Harlequin, which is "inspired by" her role in the new Joker.
~~~~~~~~~~
ADDITIONAL INFO
READING SOME SHIT: wtf is this
WATCHING SOME SHIT: Gaga says: VOTE!!!
PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: I could go on and on and on, couldn't I? Lady Gaga is omnipresent in pop culture. She has connections to everyone. Wouldn't doubt if she won an Oscar for her lead role in a Connie Converse biopic. But I don't have the energy to go for 5000 words today.
Clarence Clemmons, the person who played saxophone on "The Edge of Glory" and then passed away and then years later inspired Sara to choose that song for a YSC prompt, is an RC alumnus, from Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band's The Rising. Mutt Lange, co-architect of Shania Twain's Come On Over, sings backup vocals on this album. And on and on and on.
Clarence Clemmons, the person who played saxophone on "The Edge of Glory" and then passed away and then years later inspired Sara to choose that song for a YSC prompt, is an RC alumnus, from Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band's The Rising. Mutt Lange, co-architect of Shania Twain's Come On Over, sings backup vocals on this album. And on and on and on.
But if I'm only going to drop a couple more things here, we might as well make them political. First is that Lady Gaga is prominent member of Artists Against Fracking, which was founded by Yoko Ono. For the record, Kamala Harris supports fracking just like trump, which is fucking obscene and disgusting, but, ya know, just goes to show you that there is never going to be a perfect political candidate, and that we always need to vote for the one that most aligns with our beliefs, instead of pissing away our vote because no candidate is perfect.
And I already mentioned this in the Katy Perry write-up, but Lady Gaga performed at Joe Biden's inauguration ceremony in 2021, along with Perry, Springsteen, Lizard Person Demi Lovato, and (pre-ceremony) Fall Out Boy. I already talked shit on Gaga and the rest of these mopes back at that time, on this blog, which isn't Record Club related (until y'all get the balls to pick a Fela Kuti album), but probably important here anyway, the overall theme of today's Sunday write-up being that of politics. Hopefully this week goes well. Even if it goes well, that means there is so much work to be done afterward. Pop stars singing at an inauguration ceremony changes nothing.
But I'm trying to be optimistic.
DOCUMENTING VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS'S VINYL PURCHASES:
(it's do-or-die week for this bit—I will either continue it until the meme generator gets shut down, or you will never see it again, because the pain and betrayal at the hands of the American public will be too hard to bear... please vote for Kamala Harris)
9/1 — Street Worms by Viagra Boys (Sunny's album chosen by Brianna) ✔
9/8 — Infinite Arms by Band of Horses (Zach's album chosen by Sara) ✔
9/15 — Sugar Ray by Sugar Ray (Pat's album chosen by vote) ✔
9/22 — Stankonia by OutKast (Joe's album chosen by Sunny) ✔
9/29 — A Little Bit of Mambo by Lou Bega (Gilson's album chosen by vote) ✔
DOCUMENTING VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS'S VINYL PURCHASES:
(it's do-or-die week for this bit—I will either continue it until the meme generator gets shut down, or you will never see it again, because the pain and betrayal at the hands of the American public will be too hard to bear... please vote for Kamala Harris)
~~~~~~~~~~
SONG CHALLENGE DOUBLE DOWN SCHEDULE
9/1 — Street Worms by Viagra Boys (Sunny's album chosen by Brianna) ✔
9/8 — Infinite Arms by Band of Horses (Zach's album chosen by Sara) ✔
9/15 — Sugar Ray by Sugar Ray (Pat's album chosen by vote) ✔
9/22 — Stankonia by OutKast (Joe's album chosen by Sunny) ✔
9/29 — A Little Bit of Mambo by Lou Bega (Gilson's album chosen by vote) ✔
10/6 — Bando Stone and the New World by Childish Gambino (Brianna's album chosen by Nate) ✔
10/13 — Manning Fireworks by MJ Lenderman (Maeve's album chosen by vote) ✔
10/20 — Bleed Out by the Mountain Goats (Nate's album chosen by Allison) ✔
10/27 — Infest by Papa Roach (Boober's album chosen by vote) ✔
11/3 — Born This Way by Lady Gaga (Sara's album chosen by Joe) ←
11/10 — Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff (Bridget's album chosen by vote)
11/17 — Forever for Now by LP (Allison's album chosen by Zach)~~~~~~~~~~
RC CLASSIC ALBUM OF THE WEEK
Every week from now on, we're giving a quick re-listen to the RC album we covered five years ago exactly. Check out the quick reevaluation every Friday morning, before the regular reviews. Reevaluation, reflection, something like that.
Every week from now on, we're giving a quick re-listen to the RC album we covered five years ago exactly. Check out the quick reevaluation every Friday morning, before the regular reviews. Reevaluation, reflection, something like that.
~~~~~~~~~~
Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!
Have a great week!
PLEASE VOTE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!
I KNOW I'M LARGELY PREACHING TO THE CHOIR HERE!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!


4 comments:
Is this an election year?
This would have been an even better bit if your comment was anonymous.
Is this an election year?
This would have been an even better bit if your comment had mentioned the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
Post a Comment