There are plenty of people on the Record Club email chain. Not everyone participates. This is my attempt to get everyone involved, even those whose Record Club emails go directly into the spam box.
For week #3, we are featuring Vinny Vella, whose last name I am using on this blog because he specifically told me it was okay, but that was like a year ago, so if that permission has run out, I'll be glad to asterisk the shit out of it. Vinny last showed up on the blog during his Your Favorite Movie interview about The Last Boy Scout, which to this day might be my least favorite movies I've seen for that project, but one of my favorite interviews.
WEEK 90 — October 18-24, 2020
What we're listening to this week (Vinny's pick):
ALBUM: The Rising
ARTIST: Bruce Springsteen
RELEASED: July 30, 2002
WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Rock (c'mon, you know Bruce Springsteen)
WHY VINNY MIGHT WRITE A REVIEW FOR THIS: First, I know that Vinny likes Bruce Springsteen. At least I think he does. I can't remember a specific instance of him telling me that he likes Bruce Springsteen, but some ancient Collegian memory presents itself in the corner of my mind in which Vinny expresses his love for Bruce Springsteen. Second, and more importantly, I know that Vinny likes to write, because this is his chosen profession.
WHY VINNY PROBABLY WON'T WRITE A REVIEW FOR THIS: When we switched from Facebook to email, I just stole Vinny's email address off the Inquirer's website, and I honestly have no idea how strong Inqy's spam filters are. It's possible, even probable, that Vinny does not know Record Club still exists. Plus, as a counterpoint to my second point above, I know that Vinny is a professional writer, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to write extracurricularly. That's like asking a bank cashier to crunch numbers for a math blog. Also, something tells me that journalists are a LITTLE busy these days, what with that whole election thingamabob going on.
TRACKLIST:
- Lonesome Day
- Into the Fire
- Waitin' on a Sunny Day
- Nothing Man
- Countin' on a Miracle
- Empty Sky
- Worlds Apart
- Let's Be Friends (Skin to Skin)
- Further On (Up the Road)
- The Fuse
- Mary's Place
- You're Missing
- The Rising
- Paradise
- My City in Ruins
LENGTH: 72:52 (well shit)
WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube
READING SOME SHIT: Here's a wildly enthusiastic ode on Salon to a subject that I do not doubt some of your reviews might touch on, for better or worse—did Springsteen save us from the horrors of 9/11, or did 9/11 save Bruce Springsteen from himself?
Happy listening, Vinny! Have a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment