HEAVN—Hey look! Yeasayer produced a soul/R&B album... With all of the Chicago pop and hip-hop features, it's like Lollapalooza put through a still. I dig it. Warrants additional plays.
The Innocents—How does "A Little Respect" have 137 million plays on Spotify? All I hear is the in-store radio at Forman Mills. Utterly forgettable.
Purple—Fuck yea. If Red Fang hired Josh Homme and switched from PBR/MGD to exclusively Shiner beers, they might try to make this album. I'm gonna rotate this one for a while.
Imploding the Mirage—A Killers album. No certified bangers here, and IMO they frequently lean the wrong way on the atmospheric vs. danceable axis. Are they getting old, or am I?
Sorry for the Delay—I don't feel particularly qualified to comment on this. I liked it, especially when the samples kicked in during "Fairy Tales." That part of the album felt like a turning point into more experimental/fusion-y sounds. 10/10 block party background music.
SUGAREGG—Although mostly in my wheelhouse, I didn't find anything to get excited about. Felt a little color-by-numbers.
Gaslighter—Completely not in my wheelhouse and surprisingly enjoyable. I liked that it ditched: 1) incessant slide guitar in the background, and 2) bro-country lyrics. Feel like it could have gone even harder into some of the political stuff...
Supa Dupa Fly—Haven't finished yet. TBD.
The Innocents—How does "A Little Respect" have 137 million plays on Spotify? All I hear is the in-store radio at Forman Mills. Utterly forgettable.
Purple—Fuck yea. If Red Fang hired Josh Homme and switched from PBR/MGD to exclusively Shiner beers, they might try to make this album. I'm gonna rotate this one for a while.
Imploding the Mirage—A Killers album. No certified bangers here, and IMO they frequently lean the wrong way on the atmospheric vs. danceable axis. Are they getting old, or am I?
Sorry for the Delay—I don't feel particularly qualified to comment on this. I liked it, especially when the samples kicked in during "Fairy Tales." That part of the album felt like a turning point into more experimental/fusion-y sounds. 10/10 block party background music.
SUGAREGG—Although mostly in my wheelhouse, I didn't find anything to get excited about. Felt a little color-by-numbers.
Gaslighter—Completely not in my wheelhouse and surprisingly enjoyable. I liked that it ditched: 1) incessant slide guitar in the background, and 2) bro-country lyrics. Feel like it could have gone even harder into some of the political stuff...
Supa Dupa Fly—Haven't finished yet. TBD.

No comments:
Post a Comment