We're back to the '90s this week, which got me thinking about the distribution of albums that we've covered here into the decades they were released. What decade have we visited the most frequently? And least? I'm bored at work today, so give me a few minutes to go through the previous 125 RC albums and count 'em up.
1960s: 1
1970s: 5
1980s: 5
1990s: 7
2000s: 12
2010s: 62
2020s: 33
The skew surprised me, even though it makes sense, since Record Club has existed from 2019 to 2021 so far, and reviewing new music feels more natural. Maybe it's just because we've actually been skewing a little older more recently? I'm mainly shocked that we've only covered one album from the 1960s so far (shout out to Mongo!).
Anyways, I don't know if this exercise could or even should inform your perception of this week's album from 1999. It was just something I was interested in. If you are not as obsessed with Record Club's history as I am and would rather get to the task at hand, scroll on. (You can also check out the archives or the playlist if you aren't as obsessed with RC's history but want to be.)
WEEK 125 — June 20-26, 2021
What we're listening to this week (Melissa's pick):
ARTIST: Guster
RELEASED: September 28, 1999
WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Rock (and its various subgenres)
WHY MELISSA PICKED IT: "They're a '90s band that didn't really make it big, but have a dedicated group of cultish fans. Musically, they're doing fun stuff, but they're also somehow considered 'rock.' Did I mention they have a bongo player? Bongos. The end. Haha. This was a tough choice because it feels so close to me, BUT I think the people need to listen."
TRACKLIST:
- What You Wish For
- Barrel of a Gun
- Either Way
- Fa Fa
- I Spy
- Center of Attention
- All the Way Up to Heaven
- Happier
- So Long
- Two Points for Honesty
- Rainy Day
LENGTH: 43:57
WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: Bandcamp
READING SOME SHIT: Bongos, you say? Here is a 2011 interview with that bongoist (bongoer? bonger? bongoir?).
PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: I knew if I googled it, I could find a link between the two bands, and sure enough—in 2020, right before the pandemic, there was an onstage-only supergroup consisting of members of Guster and O.A.R. Check it out HERE. Also, the producer of this album, Steve Lillywhite, has produced for the Rolling Stones and the Killers as well (but not the albums from those bands that we covered in RC).
Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment