Sunday, June 6, 2021

Album of the Week: SOUR

Apropos of literally nothing besides my own petty annoyances, what is up with the wonky capitalization in music titling these days? I get that all-caps or all-lowercase is "trendy," but that doesn't make me roll my eyes any less. And this week's album is certainly not the first Record Club album to indulge in the trend. We've already had PUNK, CORRESPONDENCE, 1UP (I guess?), KIWANUKA, HARK!, IGOR, SUGAREGG, HEAVN, and BE, not to mention the lowercase diana (that I didn't even realize was supposed to be lowercase until that Thursday night, since Wikipedia doesn't seem all that concerned about artists' intentions regarding capitalization). I promise that I won't let any of this affect my opinion of SOUR, but man, I just had to get it off my chest. I hate it!!

All that aside, I'm excited to check out this week's album, and you should be too. After you check out the playlist and the archives, continue to scroll to read about it, listen to it, and, if we're lucky, write about it.

WEEK 123 — June 6-12, 2021

What we're listening to this week (Bridget's pick):


ALBUM:
SOUR
ARTIST: Olivia Rodrigo

RELEASED: May 21, 2021

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Pop (and this album truly is the best representation of what the term "pop" means today)

WHY BRIDGET PICKED IT: "It's so pop punk" and "It's giving me major Ashley Simpson vibes."

TRACKLIST:
  1. brutal
  2. traitor
  3. drivers license
  4. 1 step forward, 3 steps back
  5. deja vu
  6. good 4 u
  7. enough for you
  8. happier
  9. jealousy, jealousy
  10. favorite crime
  11. hope ur ok
LENGTH: 34:41

WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube

READING SOME SHIT: Look, if you were on the internet at any point in the past month, you've probably already read something about Olivia Rodrigo. Even a previous Record Club review mentioned her. So there's not really anything interesting I can put in this space at this point. How about a feature regarding other bands you should check out if you end up liking this album?

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: