Sunday, April 18, 2021

Album of the Week: Be Thankful for What You Got

An introduction to the Album of the Week, in two parts.

PART ONE: I'm really excited to say that the album chooser this week is not a Record Club member, but a Record Club artist that we've listened to in the past. Yes, I asked RC alum Real Estate on a Reddit AMA what this week's album should be, and bassist Alex Bleeker responded with his choice. (And no, you won't be able to see how many other Record Club alumni I've asked this same question in the past, only to be met with silence, because I used this opportunity to delete most of my Reddit history.)

PART TWO: One of the "rules" of Record Club is that the album needs to be streaming on regular music streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple), and unfortunately, the original 1974 version of this album doesn't seem to be on either of those. There's a 1979 version with, like, completely different songs and remix versions and shit? We don't mess with that nonsense.

But the original, eight-song version of this album is on YouTube, so I'll definitely link to that below, like always. I am also going to include a Google Drive folder with mp3s of all eight songs. You can play them right from the folder, download/import them onto Spotify/Apple Music (I'll include directions). I realized today that I have no idea how you guys all listen to your music. Is it mostly Spotify? Well, I guess we'll find out.

Or maybe we won't, seeing as how I cannot imagine there are that many people chomping at the bit to listen to and review a 1970s soul album, especially one for which you may have to jump through extra hoops. But if that sounds like something you wanna do, continue below (you WILL recognize the title track, I promise). If it's not, then either check out the archives, listen to the playlist, or GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.

WEEK 116 — April 18-24, 2021

What we're listening to this week (Real Estate's pick):


ALBUM:
Be Thankful for What You Got
ARTIST: William DeVaughn

RELEASED: 1974 (exact date unknown)

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Soul

WHY REAL ESTATE PICKED IT: "I've got 'Be Thankful for what you got' (the album) on now, give that one a go. -AB"

TRACKLIST:
  1. Give the Little Man a Great Big Hand
  2. We Are His Children
  3. Blood Is Thicker Than Water
  4. Kiss and Make Up
  5. Be Thankful for What You Got
  6. Sing a Love Song
  7. You Can Do It
  8. Something's Being Done  
LENGTH: 38:56
 
WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE ONLINE: YouTube
 
WHERE TO STREAM/DOWNLOAD FOR FREE FROM GOOGLE DRIVE: Let me know if these files don't work for you and you need them!
 
HOW TO IMPORT ONTO YOUR STREAMING APP: Instructions for Spotify and instructions for Apple Music
 
WOULD WE BE DOING ALL THIS SHIT IF A FRIEND I.E. SOMEONE I ACTUALLY KNEW IN PERSON TRIED TO PICK AN ALBUM THAT WASN'T ON SPOTIFY OR APPLE MUSIC: Fuck no, I would've just told him or her to pick something else. But when the bassist of Real Estate picks the album, you make concessions.

READING SOME SHIT: Here's a recent blog post with some cool history about the title track, and some cover versions of it from other artists.

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

1 comment:

sunny said...

RC adds another layer of self-referentiality, and has entered a new level