Friday, April 16, 2021

Mandatory Fun, Rachel S.


I was once on the social committee for a former employer and my boss referred to our events, like happy hours and birthday celebrations as "mandatory fun" so I am TRIGGERED. That being said, what a treat Weird Al continues to be. As a young bookworm who was raised on The Simpsons, Weird Al was the center of the Venn Diagram of my adolescent interests. I'm so glad he's still out there, making all the goofy theater kids feel seen.

Weird Al doesn't just "cover" songs, he reimagines them. Just look at "Now That's What I Call Polka!" If it doesn't put a smile on your face, call 911, or an exorcist because you are a dead ghost person! He also, dare I say... rocks the absolute fuck out? The originals here remind us that he's not just a talented comedian and entertainer, but a damn fine musician. I honestly don't know a better genre-bending chameleon except for Beyoncé, and that's really saying something

I can't wait until the world opens up and I can go see Weird Al live in concert, sincerely.

Mandatory Fun is perfect road trip music, something to put on in the car with your parents, and I hope when we can gather, something someone will put on at a party as a social experiment to see who actually notices (if at all) it's a Weird Al record.

No comments: