Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Nick's Tidbits: Fungibility

Non-Fungible Tokens are really popular right now, which is frustrating because that’s basically what I was in high school and no one talked to me.

Either way, I don’t really get them. You can acquire them and they're essentially just videos of NBA players doing things. I guess in the future you can show your kid a video of someone whose talents were abused so the NCAA could rake in billions of dollars and also teach your kids that the mid-range jumper did exist.

There’s also a function for art, I'm told, but I'm skeptical. It's always been tough when art begins to intermingle with business. Like, when Joe started getting paid to write Puke on Your Birthday, we all thought it would jump the shark. But, no, it didn’t. Apparently, there is a readership. Yes, I am just as shocked as you are. No, I am not getting paid for Tidbits. Not even a Tidbit. No one else is getting paid for this. Just Joe.

Anyway. I don’t know, gang. Call me "Old Fashioned" (my other nickname in high school), but I prefer my tokens fungible, and my art inaccessible or mass-produced for Target stores because I can't afford anything else. I don't need a token to remind people that I am one of a kind and that they wish I were not.

Nick

No comments: