Sunday, August 3, 2025

Album of the Week: The Young and the Hopeless

I always try to warn you here when I'm going to be out of town, but hopefully you understand the reason why. I don't take breaks from blogging, but I do have limited blogging time while in a vacation house with family. I'll always encourage you to write, and send me whatever you write, but maybe this isn't the week that you send me a 10,000-word treatise on Good Charlotte. OR, if you really need to do such a thing, maybe don't send it to me late on Thursday night and make me wake up early to edit blog posts when I could be sleeping on vacation? That's all I'm asking. Just be patient with me, as blogging slips down the priorities list for one week only.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it... it was a point last year that there was a suspicious burglary incident at my parents' house. Was it an inside job? Who knew about the fact that we were here? Everyone here on this blog.... which is funny to think about, that someone would come to Puke on Your Birthday in order to gather information about where to commit a burglary. That's as good a reason as any to visit a blog, I say.

I guess what I'm saying is, please don't burglarize my parents' house. Write a Good Charlotte review instead. Or at least do what the last burglars did, and limit your stolen items to a single large bucket full of coins that was hidden in the dining room. Yeah man, that's not suspicious at all!

Record Club:

WEEK 340 — August 3-9, 2025


The Young and the Hopeless
by Good Charlotte

LISTEN:
Spotify | YouTube | Bandcamp | Apple

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY VOTE

CATEGORY OF VOTING: "Albums that already lost a PoYB poll (YSC version)." This is the sister category to that which Goo Goo Dolls won a couple months ago. We have a lot of polls here in Record Club, apparently. Enough at this point to pull from old polls and create new polls. I feel like this is boring but I'm going to explain it in full detail anyway.

About a year ago, we were planning on trying to get some Yearlong Song Challenge participants to move over to Record Club. Five YSC regulars declined to participate fully, so what I did was create five different polls, with albums based on songs they had chosen for YSC. We voted, certain albums won, we reviewed them in RC, everyone had fun. But for our purposes today, I went back to those polls, and took all the second-place albums, and made a brand new poll.

Good Charlotte's The Young and the Hopeless won. That was based on Bridget's Day 87 song selection, "Girls & Boys." The Young and the Hopeless originally lost to Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff. When I asked Bridget to write a review this summer, she chose The Young and the Hopeless, and said this: "Absolutely would love to commit to the young and the hopeless by good charlotte! I believe I wrote about a few of the songs for the song challenge last year hehe." This is true! That is how we got here!

LOSING ALBUMS: The Brimstone Sluggers by Crazy Town (based on Pat's Day 69 selection; originally lost to Sugar Ray by Sugar Ray); Chroma by Cartel (based on Gilson's Day 40 selection; originally lost to A Little Bit of Mambo by Lou Bega); Music for the Recently Deceased by I Killed the Prom Queen (based on Boober's Day 57 selection; originally lost to Infest by Papa Roach); Take Off Your Pants and Jacket by blink-182 (based on Maeve's Day 79 selection; originally lost to Manning Fireworks by MJ Lenderman); Forgiveness Rock Record by Broken Social Scene (I needed six album selections for this poll, but there were only five original YSC polls, so I went to Sunny's description on how he selected Stankonia, and saw that he was debating between that and Broken Social Scene).

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Pop punk, pop rock, power pop, alternative rock

RELEASED: October 1, 2002

LENGTH: 45:52

TRACKLIST:
  1. A New Beginning
  2. The Anthem
  3. Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous
  4. The Story of My Old Man
  5. Wondering
  6. Girls & Boys
  7. My Bloody Valentine
  8. Hold On
  9. Riot Girl
  10. Say Anything
  11. The Day That I Die
  12. The Young & the Hopeless
  13. Emotionless
  14. Movin' On
LYRICS: Genius.com

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: the Madden brothers both prefer he/him/his

ABOUT: Good Charlotte formed in Waldorf, Maryland, in 1995. Founding members of the band were twin brothers Joel Madden (lead vocals) and Benji Madden (guitar and backing vocals), and Paul Thomas on bass. Billy Martin joined on keyboards in 1998. These were the four members who performed on The Young and the Hopeless. Dean Butterworth joined on drums in 2005 (session drummer and now-former Foo Fighter John Freese played drums on today's album). "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and "The Anthem" are their most famous singles, but they are still a functioning band. They famously won a Nickelodeon Australian Kids' Choice Award in 2007 for Best International Band. The first radio station they were played on was Philadelphia's own Y100.

DISCOGRAPHY: This is Good Charlotte's second of seven albums, with their first being a self-titled album in 2000. HOWEVER, Good Charlotte is releasing their eighth album, Motel Du Cap, this Friday, on the same day our reviews for this album will be published!

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: a Substack with an archived feature from 2003

WATCHING SOME SHIT: "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" at Live 8 in 2005

RECORD CLUB CONNECTIONS: Hilary Duff already got a shoutout above, but I just learned that frontman Joel Madden dated Hilary Duff when he was 25 and she was sixteen. Not cool, man! Perhaps even more damning, Joel and Benji were both judges on The Voice Australia, though not at the same time as Destiny's Child's Kelly Rowland.

This is the second time we're hearing John Freese's drumming, after a couple tracks on Teenage Dream. He's also worked on non-RC albums by Kelly Clarkson, Weezer, Ween, Miley Cyrus, Bruce Springsteen, and 100 gecs.

Good Charlotte has toured with Eve 6. They state that Green Day is an influence. Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy remixed a Good Charlotte song on Greatest Remixes. This album has a song called "Wondering," which is the name of the RC album by Music with Gina.

MENTIONS ON THE BLOG: This anti-capitalism Song of the Week entry for "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" remains evergreen. This archival post indicates that I bought this album for my sister Jenny in 2002, which might be important to know this week as I vacation with that same sister. This interview apparently took place as the bar blasted Good Charlotte over the speakers. After the aforementioned "Girls & Boys" in Yearlong Song Challenge, TWO people picked a GC song as their "song from an AIM away message" entry—Bridget and Allison. 

~~~~~~~~~~

OTHER ALBUMS TO CHECK OUT

LAST WEEK'S ALBUM: Valtari by Sigur Rós, and make sure to check out the reviews if you wanna see what we thought of it!

RC@5: We're relistening to the Record Club album we featured exactly five years ago this week. The RC album for this week in 2020 was Go Go Diva by La Rappresentante di Lista.

RC f/u: We're attempting to catch up on all the new albums from our esteemed Record Club alumni. Mini-reviews coming next Saturday, this week for both of Tyler, the Creator's most recent albums.

SHADOW RECORD CLUB: Each week, we're exploring the genres of last week's album. If there is a genre that has a #1-rated album that I've never heard before, I'll download it. If not, I'll just give you my best recommendation. Last week's Valtari was an ambient pop album. We're listening this week to Uchu Nippon Setagaya by Fishmans. I've not heard it before.

NEXT WEEK'S RC ALBUM: In case you need some extra time with an album to write a review for it, you can get a head start on The Doors by the Doors!

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

No comments: