Friday, August 1, 2025

Valtari, Sarah Q.


I'm starting to write this at 4:47 PM on Thursday. Reviews are due today. I missed getting my last review in, I'm determined to write something about this Sigur Rós album! Writing about music hasn't typically been my thing. I don't listen to full albums very often. Maybe I just find this all a little intimidating. 

What do I actually have to say about this Sigur Rós album? I did listen to it. I even took some notes as I was listening. I listened to Valtari at home in my living room, chilling inside on a hot summer day, around, in case any kids needed me. It was a logistically quiet week (no camp drop-offs, no doctor's appointments). It was a week where I felt the time. 

It's in this context that this Sigur Rós album and I met. It was a good way to meet.

Bottom line, I liked it. I felt like it took me on a bit of a journey. I'm having an introspective summer. It fit my mood. I'm not editing this much, just sharing what came up for me as I listened.


There's light.

There's depression.

Both can co-exist?

We can feel depression without getting lost in it.

There are these moments in life where I can feel caught in between the present and the past, I can't quite ground in the moment. I'm so close. So close.

A reminder to focus on healing.

It's going to be ok.

A full-bodied hope crests.

But hope alone is not enough, we need to stay connected to the long procession of work that will always continue.

There is no arrival.

Just a continual march to whatever lays beyond.

How hard it is to leave depression, this blanket that offers such security, the fear in lifting it. 

An invitation is set before us, an offer, to see and hear and feel the full expanse of hope and depression that lives together in all of us.

No comments: