Friday, August 8, 2025

The Young and the Hopeless, Allison


When I skimmed the track list of The Young and the Hopeless, I was surprised that the song titles didn't sound terribly familiar. In 2002, I would have described myself as a fan; the band's eponymous debut album came out when I was in seventh grade and in desperate need of a new musical identity. Pop punk was hugely influential on this little outcast. I remember being less enthralled with their second album. Freshman year was a tough time (a unique experience, I'm sure), and my musical tastes were trending darker and angrier. I have a core memory of a group of mean popular girls bragging about their amaaaazing seats for the upcoming Good Charlotte show at the Spectrum. In that moment, I entered that insufferable period of "if it's popular, it can't be good." Sure, teen me, it sucks when a thing you like is commercially successful.

Nostalgia aside, when I finally put the album on, it was like unlocking a little wannabe riot girl sleeper cell. Every song, every lyric, every Madden brother harmony, it all came back to me. I knew this album well. Very well. Maybe too well? Why did I forget about it? Maybe because it's not that great. There are some gems. "Anthem" is still a banger, and "Wondering" is a refreshing 2000s pop punk throwback, but the other big singles, "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" and "Girls & Boys" feel dated, and the music videos support that feeling. Ultimately, the album feels disjointed and is weighed down by its daddy issues. I give the Madden brothers credit for wearing their hearts on their tattoo sleeves, but two entire songs dedicated to their estranged father, plus the incredibly on-the-nose lyric "I'm angry at my father," is a cry for help. Cheer up, boys, in a couple of years, you'll be married to Cameron Diaz (Benji) and Nicole Richie (Joel) and living your own Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous. Selling out works!

3/5 bouts of plantar fasciitis from wearing Chucks too long into adulthood

No comments: