I first heard the Doors while riding in my uncle's truck around age twelve, and because I was stupid, I recall thinking all of their songs sounded the same. However, I gave them another chance in my late teens after watching the 1991 biopic with Val Kilmer, and I now firmly believe the Doors kick ass, exemplified by their 1967 debut album The Doors.
It's psychedelic rock at its peak, but also infused with so much jazz and blues that it's both accessible and avant-garde. Jim Morrison's vocals are refreshingly deep. You NEVER hear bass/baritone singers in virtually any musical genre, and it's almost inspirational to hear a rock star with a low vocal range. The album is bookended with two of their best known songs, the explosive "Break On Through (to the Other Side)" and the sprawling, surreal finale "The End," and MAN did they save the best for last with this haunting, twelve-minute odyssey. I found "Alabama Song" to be a more unique romp, which made more sense when I found out it's a cover. And obviously "Light My Fire" is a big hit that has influenced generations of doobie smokers (you may be surprised to learn I was a daily weed enthusiast at one time). In fact, many tracks on the album feature lengthy organ solos by Ray Manzarek, which I assume were designed as a break to give the listener time to light up another joint, making it a fully interactive experience. This music simply makes you want to get high and get laid.
The Doors is simultaneously animalistic and chill as fuck. It's wild to think Jim Morrison was only 23 years old at the time. Nearly 60 years later, The Doors remains an immersive listen that captures the spirit of the 1960s and transports the listener to a dark yet wholly alluring place.

No comments:
Post a Comment