Friday, August 29, 2025
Discussion — Week 343: I quit by HAIM
I googled "hame" since this is how many people mispronounce the name of the band HAIM, and I learned that a hame is a "piece of iron or wood forming or attached to the collar of a draft horse, to which the traces are attached." So you'd attach two hames to a horse's neck, and then attach the reins to the hames. In any case, a hame is definitely not an indie rock-pop group from the San Fernando Valley comprised of three sisters. Let's talk about pronunciations and today's reviews and life in the comment section below. Happy Friday, friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
Sincerely shocked that 50% of the reviews were of the "this is fine" variety. Music really is subjective, ain't it? Boy oh boy.
Anyways, I'm just getting off an overnight shift, a bit sleepy, don't wanna blog and drive, but I will say that I appreciated the reviews today. It was a good summer. I'll type later.
I feel vindicated and seen. To the Haim enjoyers, I wish you well!
James Joyce woulda loved this shit
Zach is on vacation, but if he were here, I'd be curious to get his opinion about whether his love for "Relationships" is based sincerely on the opinion that it's the best song on the album, or whether it was actually based on the fact that he had 100+ listens of it under his belt before the damn album even dropped.
Maeve, XPN really does play HAIM a lot. Though I would say that XPN's Song of the Summer is actually "whatever shitty Mt. Joy song they are pushing this week." I admire XPN's sticktoitiveness when it comes to shoving extremely mid-tier bands down my throat. But only one at a time, it's never overwhelming. It's more like "ah shit, they're doing THIS band this month, okay, I guess."
All this to say that I will triple-checking to make sure that the songs I'm recommending for your birthday have not been played on XPN.
Love the point about being a sister listening to an all-sister band, Gloria. I think about my own daughters in this way a lot, wondering whether they will ever start a band. The Haim parents gave 'em a leg up by being musicians themselves, I think, roping them into a family cover band at a young age. The only thing my daughters have going for them is a parent who is a cranky and prolific amateur music critic, so if they want help being that too, I'll be there for them every step of the way.
Aside from our four regulars—Sunny, Nate, Gloria, Zach, whose contributions I am continually grateful for, week after week, it sincerely brings me such joy—I sent out an email to 44 other friends and family members, asking that they write one final summer album review. I am very proud of Maeve for being the only one out of those 44 to answer the call. And it is very funny that I send emails out to so many spam folders every week.
What's good this weekend? I'm gonna take a nap today, then bring the kids to the dentist. Zero plans tomorrow, strangely. Sunday is swimming, Monday is the DOYLESTOWN POLISH FESTIVAL (holler if you're gonna be there, we can link up bro!!!!!).
I've got my youngest at home today (she's on her second watch of My Neighbor Tororo of the day as I type this, it's a movie so I do not watch it with her), then the in-laws in town for a shared birthday party. Thoughts be with me.
Your hatred of movies is holding you back! My Neighbor Totoro is a banger! My kids watched The Cat Returns, another Studio Ghibli, a couple weeks ago. It wasn't top-tier Ghibli but it was definitely the funniest one I've seen. Ya know, if you, Nate (my friend who is most susceptible to joyous fits of laughter), are looking for a fun time with the kids, there it is.
As one of the people who thought it was fine, basically calling it good but forgettable, I found it interesting that you said, “Without RC's intervention, I suppose I quit was fated to suffer such a demise. Very Good, Forgotten. With an extra week of scrutiny, I was able to make the leap, find something to latch onto.”
Maybe it’s an album that you really need to sit with. I only had a chance to listen to it twice this week and nothing really stood out to me on those listens. Maybe I need to give the Haim sisters one more shot lol
My mom’s dream was for us to be like the Von Trapp family, making us sing in a minimum of three part harmony as a family any chance she had — car rides, parties, after Sunday dinner, haha. Maybe if her dream was more of a pop-rock band it would have stuck?
Yeah, that's a good point, Gloria. I guess what I was attempting to say (poorly) was that being a Very Good Album isn't good enough these days. Too much Very Good Music out there, and I listen to a lot of it, and I forget about a lot of the stuff that I think is Very Good. If I become familiar with 300 new (to me) albums over the course of a year, then I'm probably going into the next year with 50 of them having made a significant impact on me. And despite being Very Very Good, I don't know if HAIM would've been in the rotation all that much in 2026, just because it wouldn't have made a true impact, and because there's so much Very Good Music just around the corner.
And Record Club helps so much. So many albums I remember fondly, still to this day, because we covered it in this blog project.
Called my mom and my parents are going to the Polish Festival! You might run into the other JMK, haha
Hahaha that's amazing. I'll be sure to wear my Shaq Diesel shirt so they know who to look for.
From vacation - it’s possible but I also fell in love with Relationships the second I heard it. The length of time helped, but so did the fact that this song is just so simple and good.
I liked all the reviews! Thinking about I Quit spiritually was a good exercise from Joe’s review. You can quit without quitting. Or something like that. The album really was good, but the reviews of “this is fine” really put it into context for me. I am excited to listen to this album more. I feel a connection with HAIM I haven’t felt with other bands.
I’m in Leh in Ladakh State, India. Beautiful mountains, peaceful people. Drove up to 18300 feet and biked back down to 11500, which was an amazing experience. Reading Siddharta by Hermann Hesse, highly recommended for everyone and also India travelers. Hoping to trek around the mountains and then go to Dharmsala, where the Dalai Lama lives (I think?). Not trying to one up anyone, just excited to be here, and I know I would love Doylestown too
Doylestown ain't shit. Just for the record here.
Post a Comment