A dozen songs I listened to over the past month that were new to me (mostly). Weekend edition! Here are some great tunes to blast on a Saturday night!
August 2025
1. "SLEPT TIL 2" by DARK THOUGHTS — Seeing the headline on Stereogum that DARK THOUGHTS had finally dropped their new album was probably the only true "yelling 'oh shit!' out loud" moment of the year for me, just in terms of music headlines (and of course not including major deaths, like Wilson and Osbourne).
2. "Lieday" by Anamanaguchi — It's a great bit: Anamanaguchi AirBnB'd the American Football house, and recorded a whole damn album while they were there. I'd never heard of this fifth-wave-emo-by-way-of-chiptune band before learning of the bit, but the bit was what got me in the door.
3. "pokemon" by Wet Leg — Lots of great hooks on this album, probably more so than their debut. The "you wanna go for a dri-iiive?" on this song is the one that sticks, for some reason. You can't explain this stuff.
4. "Don't Tap That Glass / Tweakin'" by Tyler, the Creator — I made the mistake of checking out the Billboard Hot 100 the other day. I actually don't mind all the KPop Demon Hunter songs, to be honest, even though they all seem to be pushing the bangers from the new Tyler album out of the chart. Let's not get confused about the villain here: there are too many Morgan Wallen songs on this chart, and that's a problem for everyone.
5. "Phone Call" by Sleeper's Bell — Very good "put something chill on at 9 PM while you and your wife find like 45 minutes in your week to sit down and have a conversation" music. Fulfills the promise that Phoebe Bridgers' Stranger in the Alps made better than most of artists of their ilk.
6. "Pee-wee Herman" by Bruiser Wolf ft. Chilly Gonzalez and DJ Lucas — It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Gonzalez flipped "Tequila" on this thing, even though the character who made the song ubiquitous is right there in the title. There is very little about DJ Lucas on the web—trust me, I checked, since the second google suggestion is "allegations" and yet there is basically nothing on the internet about said allegations. Let's just enjoy the new Bruiser Wolf in peace while we can.
7. "Afterlife" by Alex G — It's interesting to hear indie rock music critics talk about Alex G's new album like it's the most popular album in the world. Does anyone outside of our orbit know this dude? Probably not. But people in the know are those who are gonna know that Alex G's major label debut is a big fucking deal. He saved all his idiosyncrasies from his indie days, don't worry. See: this song.
8. "Young" by Little Simz — Simz was really good on her RC album, but I can't really point to that album as proof that she knows how to have fun. This song, on the other hand? One of the weirdest and most infectious songs of the year.
9. "Rock n' Roll Band" by the Dirty Nil — It's a great bit: struggling rock 'n' roll band sings a song about struggling as a rock 'n' roll band, but presents it with all the swagger of an extremely successful rock 'n' roll band. I'm glad the Dirty Nil is meeting their struggles head-on, and I'm glad they've survived.
10. "Oneida" by Tyler Childers — I've always appreciated how Tyler Childers manages to sneak progressive ideals into those massive stadium country tours. But I'm glad that he has temporarily relieved himself of that civic duty for a few songs, and is now comfortable enough to including a song about bangin' MILFs. You're my hero, Tyler.
11. "Ace Trumpets" by Clipse — This was a big-deal album! I'm surprised that it didn't get much heat on the Record Club polls that went out last week. Only two votes! Shoutout to all the dope-slingers who votes for Let God Sort Em Out (me and Stephan). We'll get 'em next time.
12. "Tiny Little Fractures" by Snow Patrol — Discovered a song called "Chocolate" by a band called Snow Patrol exactly twenty years ago, and man, were we ever fortunate that I slipped right under the wire and got in before that whole "Chasing Cars" nonsense. Here in 2025, I'm discovering that the whole album that "Chocolate" is on is pretty good.
Because that's how we recommend music here on Puke on Your Birthday! You should listen to it... because it's pretty good! A very strong recommendation!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment