I'm not sure because I've never seen the episode, but I'm pretty sure these are the members of Sigur Rós in the episode that they also created the score for. It was Season 24. I've seen like twenty episodes of
The Simpsons total, so the chances of one of those being a Season 24 Icelandic episode were pretty low. Maybe one of you has seen it. Meet me in the comments to discuss it, as well as the album, the reviews, Record Club, and life.
24 comments:
By my count we have: four positive reviews, two cautiously negative reviews, and one I Don't Know review. I think it makes sense that this would be a divisive album, since its style is not really the type of thing that we might typically cover in Record Club, and, speaking personally, it's definitely not the type of album that I would usually listen to. So: a good challenge. I appreciated that. And I appreciated everyone who gave it a try even though it's also maybe something that you wouldn't listen to either.
That being said... a lot of people liked this album! And I remain nonplussed. Hopefully my own review did a good enough job of laying the blame of my opinion on me and not on the artists themselves, who are clearly doing a very good job at the thing they are trying to do.
I'm very sorry to report that this Good Charlotte album is probably gonna earn a higher grade than the Sigur Ros album. 2002 Joe is ready to commit seppuku over this fact.
The new Dropkick Murphys album is really good too, now that you mention it.
What's going on this weekend? Just chilling today, packing a little bit; tomorrow we're headed down to Wildwood for the week.
Eventually I want to make a list of all the birds featured on PoYB over the years. Gloria's hawk added to the list.
I know it wasn’t technically my album pick, but I want to thank people giving Sigur Rós a chance.
Driving up to Newport Jazz fest and will finish reading the reviews later might add a comment or two then.
If anyone is curious, I switched out the albums on my wall since the original poll. It’s now:
1. Derya Yildirim & Grup Simgek — Dost 1 & 2
2. Genesis — Abacab
3. Air — Moon Safari
4. Boards of Canada— Music Has the Right to Children
5. Surprise Chef — Education & Recreation
6. The Velvet Underground— The Velvet Underground & Nico
7. Badbadnotgood- Sour Soul
8. Hiroshima— Another Place
Add my chickens from the Phil Collins review too!
Interesting album and interesting write ups for it. Great to see all the connections to personal stories and the challenge of Diacritics generally
fwiw, I think my life is boring, assume most people I know also live boring lives (in toto anyway; even the most boring side characters get their own arc from time to time), and that's just how it goes. I think our culture inculcates and accelerates this feeling. I try not to run away from this, in a A Pale King sort of way, but I get how it may drive one mad.
excellent
I'm making an executive decision to not include RC alumni the Philadelphia Eagles.
As of the writing, six albums eligible for RC (not VU or Genesis). Though I'm about to disqualify Moon Safari when it pops up in Year of Blind Spots by the end of the month.
Every problem we face always come back to social media. We're putting the most exciting parts of our lives on display and leaving out the boring shit and it's like "how is it that I'm always stuck in this cubicle and Johnny is always on tropical vacations?" He's not, it's just that that is what he's posting on Instagram.
Welcome, boring friend, to the blog, where we can be boring together and pretend we're not by listening to a lot of music and watching a lot of movies.
I had to look up what "diacritics" was. I'm gonna have to hold onto that one, a good word of the day.
My challenge was that I remembered the alt code for ó (0243), but alt+4 does something wonky on my home laptop, like it goes back to the previous page on the web browser, and it did that whether I had number lock on or off. Pretty frustrating!!!!!!!
The other challenge was Dropkick-hating pedo-enablers writing reviews and cockblocking my editorial duties.
Very interesting to read the (extremely legitimate and appropriate) criticisms applied here. Someone saying something like "the songs were all too similar" or "I couldn't hear differences moment-to-moment in what as happening" or "I couldn't find something to latch on to / it was too samey"; these are normal things to point out in reviewing a pop record. At the same time, my personal experience of Sigur Ros makes criticisms like that completely beside the point. I don't really think you're supposed to worry so much about where one song ends and where the other begins while partaking in the larger Sigur Ros experience. Those things are part of the experience, and the experience is a unique one.
I'd like to use this space to share that I threw on a random Simpsons episode last night and laughed more or less the entire time. The hype is justified, it is the greatest show of all time.
That Genesis album stands for "All bastards are cops and bastards"
I definitely didn't realize you had this opinion about Sigur Rós until I read your review. Not that there was any reason to believe either way, or maybe your previous mention of "whale sounds" scanned as sarcastic. Here's a question: have you seen these jabronis live? There is evidence online—in Gloria's review and otherwise—that seeing them live really bolsters one's Sigur Rós opinion. (If yes, this would add pathos to Dave's review, I think.)
I love this. Long live boring!
Yeah, I tried to get across in my review that my apathy towards the album felt more like a "personal preference" issue rather than a "quality" issue, if that makes sense. For the "songs sound the same" criticism that I had, my preference is for an album to be like a novel where you can note when a chapter begins and ends. This album sounds more like an audial novella, I suppose, but I guess it just wasn't one I was in the mood to hear. I can still recognize how someone would love it, though.
I really surprised myself by not really liking this album. As I mentioned in my review, this has a lot of elements that I like, on paper, but for some reason it was a miss for me. I wonder if my expectations were the issue...
I liked your question, Batts, about what matters more when reviewing. I think most artists are gonna be hitting the marks they intended, and if we're judging based solely on that, shit's gonna feel stale. The album is all about what the artist brings to the table; the review is all about what YOU bring to the table.
Post a Comment