Monday, January 8, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 5: Sara

Prompt: "A song with a geographical location in the title"

Selected by Sara


"Good Morning Baltimore"
Tracy (played by Marissa Jarret Winokur) and Ensemble
Hairspray: Original Broadway Cast Recording, 2002

Thanks to Pam for kicking off YSC with a song from Jesus Christ Superstar. I didn't even think of using musicals as a genre. When looking at this prompt, this was the first song to come to mind. I am originally from Baltimore, born there a few good decades ago. In middle school and high school, I really took to musicals. So, having Hairspray hit Broadway in 2002 gave me a lot of pride and excitement. I'm hoping to pass this down to my daughter. All week I've been singing "Good Morning Baltimore" to her big gummy smiles. I'm all mushy for it, and now that makes the song even more special.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Not to be a real perfectionist here, but the video you posted in Nikki Blonsky and NOT Marissa Jaret Winokur. I'll let it slide this time.

Joe K said...

No! Don't let me slide! Everyone should be perfectionists and let me know when I fucked up their blog post!

The video has been changed. Thank you for the correction.