Saturday, January 20, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 10: Allison

Prompt: "A song with no letters in its title"

Selected by Allison


"3005"
Childish Gambino
Because the Internet, 2013

Keeping this one short. I love this song. My husband and I have seen Childish Gambino in concert three times. He's one of the few artists we agree on (no, he did not see Death Cab with me). We first listened to his mixtape, Culdesac, in my childhood bedroom in the summer of 2010, just after graduating college. On the precipice of adulthood. Our uncertain futures spread out ahead of us, converging or diverging? At the time, we couldn't know for sure.

"Sorry, I'm just scared of the future. Till 3005, I got your back; we can do this, hold up..."

"3005" is more than a pledge for the future; it's beyond the future. The commitment, the courage it takes to turn to someone and say, "You got me? I got you." To take their hand and step toward the unknowable. Together.

No comments: