Prompt: "The title track to an album"
Selected by Pat
"Let's Face It"
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Let's Face It, 1997
Let's face it, I was always going to pick this song. It was a broad prompt, and with no other guidance, I naturally gravitated toward the only perfect form of art: ska. But within the genre, I felt compelled to pick the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, if only because their recent history has felt like a microcosm of America in the 2020s.
If you didn't know, the band broke up in 2022 after almost 40 years together because lead vocalist Dicky Barrett is an anti-vaxxer and decided to make promotional videos for anti-science presidential candidate and human laryngectomy RFK Jr. Subsequently, Barrett and pro-COVID drummer Pete Parada (who was kicked out of the Offspring for trying to outwit an actual molecular biologist) started a new ska band called the Defiant. **cringe** Their debut album, If We're Really Being Honest (God, if I had a nickel for every time I heard an uncle say that), includes singles with impossibly grim titles such as "We Make Drugs" and "Where Did Lady Liberty Go?"
What is to be gleaned from this? Dicky Barrett went from reasonably progressive in the mid-'90s to thinking Pfizer was out to kill him thirty years later. Is fame and wealth the ultimate corrupter? Or is this a case of diagonalism, a combining of left-wing and right-wing beliefs in which Barrett honestly believes all human beings are worthy of respect and therefore cannot be forced to consent to vaccines? I dunno. I hit 100 words about 140 words ago.
If you didn't know, the band broke up in 2022 after almost 40 years together because lead vocalist Dicky Barrett is an anti-vaxxer and decided to make promotional videos for anti-science presidential candidate and human laryngectomy RFK Jr. Subsequently, Barrett and pro-COVID drummer Pete Parada (who was kicked out of the Offspring for trying to outwit an actual molecular biologist) started a new ska band called the Defiant. **cringe** Their debut album, If We're Really Being Honest (God, if I had a nickel for every time I heard an uncle say that), includes singles with impossibly grim titles such as "We Make Drugs" and "Where Did Lady Liberty Go?"
What is to be gleaned from this? Dicky Barrett went from reasonably progressive in the mid-'90s to thinking Pfizer was out to kill him thirty years later. Is fame and wealth the ultimate corrupter? Or is this a case of diagonalism, a combining of left-wing and right-wing beliefs in which Barrett honestly believes all human beings are worthy of respect and therefore cannot be forced to consent to vaccines? I dunno. I hit 100 words about 140 words ago.
13 comments:
Make America Ska again
Maybe the only album I've owned on cassette and CD. Big ups.
Sorry I meant great again
Not a fan of RFK at all but seems like a low blow to call him a Human laryngectomy when he can’t control it. Very inclusive of you. What happened to body positivity
Yeah I thought that was a little odd. If you posted a Lizzo song and mentioned how body positivity and heart failure go hand in hand you’d be chastised. But an actual problem a human can’t control like RKFjr voices we can talk shit on.
Solid stuff
Yeah Pat! Don't you know that your mean words will hurt this piece of shit antivaxxer's FEELINGS?! How dare you not use inclusive language about the guy who thinks that chemicals in the water will turn your kids trans! How would you feel if YOU thought that wifi caused cancer and I called YOU a mean name?!
Also not sure how y'all missed the memo regarding Lizzo, but she's cancelled now. Puke on Your Birthday cancelled her.
I apologize for my words. In the future, I will always consider, first and foremost, the feelings of the people who are trying to make the world a demonstrably worse place.
Also, don't forget to stretch your finger before clutching those pearls.
Thank goodness
Everyone who voted for trump got the best pearls. So I gotta clutch them pretttty pretty pretty pretty tight
I don’t think WiFi causes cancer and you have called me mean names in the past lol. You can call him an Anti vaxxer. Doesn’t matter to me. Coming at a guy for a rare disease? I mean that’s a little low.
Calling this man a "human laryngectomy" is, frankly, an insult to laryngeal cancer. I won't stand for it!
Lol
Post a Comment