Monday, January 22, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 11: Boober

Prompt: "The song you think of when you think about your first crush"

Selected by Boober


"The Boys of Summer"
The Ataris
So Long, Astoria, 2003

I know I know, Don Henley had a much better version. But this is the one that reminds of my first crush.

We went to New Life Glenside church together, freshman/sophomore summer. I met her through my sister who was... idk what you call them, one of the older kids that led youth groups? A "youth leader"? She was her youth leader and my sister kept saying, "Oh, isn't she cute?" and dumb me was trying to play it cool like, "Eh, kind of..." Well, like two weeks later and we were doing cute dorky things like holding hands in the back of church and cutting out early to walk to 7/11.

My parents never drove us anywhere. With seven kids, I kind of understand, since they would be driving all across creation getting us around. I remember I walked home from her house after we had a dumb argument, all the way from Glenside to Fox Chase, and this song came on my Dell DJ Ditty (who needed an iPod?).

Is this one of those stories where I walked all the way back and professed my love and we ended up high school sweethearts?!

No... it's not. We broke later that school year.

But ya know, this song still kicks ass.

5 comments:

Nate said...

I'll say this because I am brave: Don Henley's version stinks.

Sara said...

Doing a deep dive on the Dell DJ Ditty, incredible

Boober said...

It beat my walkman with my Stuart little and shrek cd… I loved that little usb sized music box.

Boober said...

Thank you for your braver.
It was wrong to be brave in this situation but still proud of you

Bob said...

Don Henley>The Ataris