Prompt: "A song with exactly thirteen characters in its title"
Selected by Maeve
"Change of Heart"
Margo Price
Strays, 2023
A change of heart is possibly the most common thing that could happen about anything, big or small. I've had so many changes of heart, even in the past year.
Here are a few:
- I now think James Harden is bad and his wine is mediocre.
- I no longer think it's charming to like the "anti-cool" things. Popular things are popular for a reason! That doesn't make you dumb or basic for liking them—they're made to be likable! Liking things isn't bad!
- Shots (drinks not vaccines, although I've always been pro-vaccines, but the drinks... suddenly at 34 I'm loving?)
- You don't need to tell your friends every little detail and vice versa.
- Carl on Summer House. My opinion fluctuated per season, then Courtney and I met him and I loved him, then he got sober, and was even better. When it was revealed that him and his long-term best friend Lindsay, also of Summer House, finally got together after years, it was like a perfect romance book. But unfortunately, when it was revealed online that Carl called off their engagement, he was villainized. I was a part of that! They had a perfect friendship—everyone wanted them together! It had been years of them dating other people while it was clear they had feelings for each other. Cut to this season when... holy shit, I've had a change of heart. When you see how Lindsay challenges Carl's sobriety multiple times for, what seems to be, no reason. It's easy to see how he made the decision to call this off, because even though they love each other, he can't be in a relationship without that trust.
All in all, you're allowed to change your heart on anything. I've recently found myself annoyed when friends of mine can't change their mind after a first impression. I can't imagine ever making a good impression, so I think it's important to not be hard and fast with them. People grow, they change, so we should too.
4 comments:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. (Emerson on self reliance)
number two is so Taylor Swift coded lmao
@ Sara it was mostly me thinking about how I got eye rolled the other day for saying I like some Marvel movies. But also, yes v TaySway too!
I want you to know that this was a great write-up, and I've been thinking about it a lot in the past 24 hours. I think you touched on something really important here. It feels like it ties into a broader discussion about art, and why we're hear writing about this shit in the first place. Because we care. Care enough to seek out good art, to react to it in written word, to recommend to others, and to criticize that which we don't like. An ever-evolving discussion that definitely allows and maybe even demands that opinions are changed over time, since we ourselves change over time too... as you already said, way better than I could.
That being said, Marvel movies are trash.
(but worth discussing! and probably not eye-roll-worthy, unless one makes it their whole personality! which I can't imagine you do!)
Post a Comment