Prompt: "A song with exactly thirteen characters in its title"
Selected by Brianna
"Avant Gardener"
Courtney Barnett
The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas, 2013
Growing up in the less concrete parts of the Northeast, my family often participated in the joys of gardening. The strawberry patch in our backyard at Shelbourne was a favorite summer entertainment back in the day, while the K***s' Rockledge residence offered even more green space for tomatoes, peppers, and sunflowers taller than the fences that enclosed them.
My current home in Port Richmond? Not so much.
I do have a ten x ten-ish slab of concrete some may refer to as a backyard, but it's pretty much closed off from any kind of sun on all four sides. Roommates of the past used tires, buckets, and other materials to try to get some greenery to emerge; honestly though, our current neighbor has a dog she doesn't really take care of, and the smells out there are not pleasant even when the trash bins are to the curb for pick up, so I've ended that traditions and let that wasteland stay as is.
As a learning but passionate home cook, I dream about days to come where I can actually grow my own produce. Fresh herbs, veggies, maybe even a fruit tree to enjoy. These are the dreams that keep me going: to be an Avant Gardener of my own one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment