Monday, March 25, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 38: Pat

Prompt: "The most recent song you heard that made you stop in your tracks"

Selected by Pat


"Betty (Get Money)"
Yung Gravy
Marvelous, 2022

I remember exactly when I first heard this song. I just don't remember when it was. 

My youngest son had some pretty serious health issues his first year. He's a lot better now (just started daycare and loves it!), but during that first year, every illness—no matter how minor—would inevitably result in a trip to the ER. We went to the hospital so many times that it all sort of blurs together. Anyway, I was driving home late one night after leaving my wife and son at CHOP (again). Unable to read the room, Spotify decided to put on this song. I was so shocked I almost pulled over. It wasn't enough that the Universe was sending my son to the hospital every four to six weeks. Now it was Rickrolling me. The fucking nerve. 

Postscript: You know who else was really surprised to hear Rick Astley on this track? Rick Astley.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

I like how your and Boober's posts today act as two sides to the same coin on good parenting. Thanks for this, dude.

Sara said...

You are an incredible dad!! And this song is also amazing. I think I listened to it 100 times summer 2022.