Tuesday, March 26, 2024

This Is the Movies — 3/26/24

Your cinematic one-stop shop. Here you'll get the new, upcoming, good, and bad without wasting your time. I love going to the theater, I love seeing movies, and I love giving the skinny because any more is just vanity. —Fisher


The Matrix

I understand that it's 25 years old, but it was re-released in a fancy format, so a friend and I went and relived our childhood. And it was fucking fantastic. What more can anyone say about such a storied film? I didn't have the joy of a theatrical experience back then. This compensated generously.

The audio/visual upgrade was legit. If you've seen this a dozen or more times, you'll notice shit you never could before on your busted-ass Panasonic. Wall-to-wall speakers that are like 6ft. tall. Film grain. Tasty, tasty film grain.

How wild it was then, and still now, to see dramatic actors doing full-on martial arts. Fight scenes with unforgiving camera angles. You see so many strikes as clear as day. What an honest treat.


Immaculate

Eh. I was a tad over neutral going in, but eh. Neon usually does better. They're like a foreign A24. But this wasn't it for me. The plot's mostly been done before. Sydney Sweeney is not an exciting person. I respect that she's trying new things, but she should've stayed away from this one, for our sake and hers.

The supporting cast is largely irrelevant. The cinematography is not exciting, the scares are uninspired, the set is under utilized for being a centuries-old building. Skip it.


Late Night with the Devil

It's fun but not amazing. I'm always excited for horror nerds to debut with a kitschy piece. This one satisfies, though I'll say it took maybe a little long before the fun began. The mechanics are all sound: plot, acting, ambiance, camera. I enjoyed my time with it.

No ulterior motives, no hidden meaning, no subtext. Just have fun watching a talk show descend into supernatural chaos. I did. Always happy to see Michael Ironside get a paycheck.

No comments: