Saturday, March 30, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 40: Nate

Prompt: "The song that someone told you was their favorite song and in that moment you knew for certain that they had different taste in music than you"

Selected by Nate


"Hood Rats"
Sexyy Red and Sukihana
single, 2023

Would you believe that I was exposed to this song, albeit indirectly, at a PTO meeting? The aphorism says that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it doesn't say that you can't judge a book by its cover. I'll say that the person who pointed me to this song certainly seemed, in the brief time I spent with them helping to plan the holiday market at my oldest daughter's elementary school, like someone who would find resonance in the Sexyy Red experieince.

I've returned to this song and video a number of times. I have shaken off what was initial revulsion and have come to appreciate this more as a work of theater and bombastic reaction to oppression. But I'll admit that this gave me pause on the first playthrough. Maybe I am not the progressive bastion of modern equality that I once thought I was. What is your favorite lyric? I think the one about why Sukihana continues to get pregnant is the one for me.

In closing, I wish it were warm enough to golf.

No comments: