Sunday, June 18, 2023

Album of the Week: Strays

We've been doing a strict "first come, first serve" for album picks this year in Record Club, but I'm not gonna lie, I used my editorial powers to line it up just right and make sure Pam picked the album for this particular week on the calendar. We're going on vacation with her parents, and I didn't want to have to listen to, like, screamo or some shit in private while my mother-in-law rants about Billy Joel. Pam knows what's up. She chose something that everyone is going to at least be able to tolerate for like 40 minutes at a time. I'm also curious to know what Joe Lero thinks about this album. Anyway! Send all email reviews toward me over here at Knoebels Grove, I'll make sure to publish them right after I ride the Phoenix.

Record Club:

WEEK 229 — June 18-24, 2023


Strays
by Margo Price

LISTEN:

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY PAM

PAM'S COMMENTS: Look, usually Pam gets out of doing this. While I would love to squeeze a few more words out of her to sell you on this album, that's just not the reality of the situation. I'm already forcing her to do so much of this bullshit. I know she enjoys it, whether she wants to admit it or not, but I'm also not going to push it. If you wanna see why Pam loves Americana music and thus why she chose this album, just go check out any country album review she's ever written. And if you too would like to escape the obligation of giving a pre-review comment about your RC album choice, then you also need to have three of my children and take the brunt of raising them while I sit at work writing blog posts about music (and occasionally a report about child abuse allegations).

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: country / Americana

RELEASED: January 13, 2023

LENGTH: 46:15

TRACKLIST:
  1. Been to the Mountain
  2. Light Me Up
  3. Radio
  4. Change of Heart
  5. County Road
  6. Time Machine
  7. Hell in the Heartland
  8. Anytime You Call
  9. Lydia
  10. Landfill
LYRICS: Genius.com

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: she/her/hers

ABOUT: Margo Price was born in April 1983 in Aledo, Illinois. She later moved to Nashville, where she started a few bands with her husband. Eventually, that settled into Margo Price and the Pricetags (her husband, Jeremy Ivey, is still in the backing band). She has been described as "a fixture of the East Nashville music community." She has also been described as a "rare liberal voice" in that scene.

DISCOGRAPHY: This is Margo Price's most recent album, and first since 2020's That's How Rumors Get Started (swallowed by COVID). There was 2017's All American Made, and her debut, 2016's Midwest Farmer's Daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: Margo herself pens an essay for Rolling Stone

WATCHING SOME SHIT: a live performance of three songs from this album on KCRW

RECORD CLUB WHEN THIS ALBUM WAS RELEASED:
We were having The Loneliest Time with reviews from Joe, Gary, Rachel S., Bridget, Pam, Nate, Sunny, Sam, and Sara.

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: I went looking for songs with the word "radio" in it, since we have a new one on this album ("Radio"). I found them on albums from U.S. Girls ("Red Ford Radio"), 340ml ("Radio 75"), Chubby and the Gang ("Pariah Radio"), and the Roots ("Radio Daze").

Apparently Sturgill Simpson was briefly in Margo's backing band, the Pricetags, so that's cool. Margo also lost to Dua Lipa at the Grammys for Best New Artist in 2019, which is not as cool (at least not for Margo Price it isn't, plus also Greta Van Fleet, which, c'mon, when is someone gonna pick GVF, a.k.a. the best classic rock band of all time, for RC?!).

Let's not forget about the features! All three on this album have RC connections! Mike Campbell was formerly of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but he is now a current member of RC alumni Fleetwood Mac. Sharon Van Etten also featured on the National's I Am Easy to Find, remember that? And last but not least, this is Lucius' third appearance as featured backup vocals here in RC, after the Harry Styles and War on Drugs albums. Welcome to the 3RC Club, Lucius! Maren Morris and Lil Wayne will find you good company. (Note: I had previously and erroneously marked Lil Wayne as appearing in four RC albums, but as it turns out, his feature on Future's Honest was on a bonus track, and we don't fuck with bonus tracks in Record Club.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

1 comment:

Joe K said...

Update: Joe Lero doesn't have an opinion about Billy Joel, but he does love Frank Sinatra (who, in this blogger's opinion, is worse than Billy Joel).