Prompt: "A song that fades out"
Selected by Walter
"Once in a Lifetime"
Talking Heads
Remain in Light, 1980
Fuck IT! I'm going to attempt to intersect the previous day's theme with today's and see what dissonance is felt! "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads really pumps me up when I'm feeling like I don't have control of my own life. How do I even know I'm not feeling in control of my own life? Who or what inserted this concept into my brain?! Was it some bottom that I hit that made me realize I need a change in my life? How did I realize I had hit a bottom? What does a further bottom look like? Can I force new bottoms to surface? What's the goal in doing this?! What is a bottom!
Up-and-down, compression-versus-decompression; like a multi-phased sine wave that constantly is changing, and of which no one can control!
[The] Talking Heads addresses these existential questions in material ways across verses and bridges and whatever-the-heck-other-names-we-give-to-song-structures, and connects them to the ability for humans to come to realize that these material things are an amalgamation of hive-minded matter which actually doesn't matter... WHAT?
That our unconscious self's ability to be aware of the material world is what matters! That discovery of our unconscious self can feel like coming up from being held under water! We realize this as a drowning effect, but feel renewed when we finally can gasp for air! But in reality, we actually always had the control and an ability to breath in and out of the water! (Don't try this at home, kids... I mean this metaphorically.)
Until, again, our minds get absorbed back into the hive-minded material world...
And then we fade out.
Same as it ever was. Once in a lifetime.
1 comment:
Favorite song of all time ππΏππΏππΏ✊πΏ✊πΏ✊πΏ
Post a Comment