Writing on vacation is hard! This is the result of finding moments in between all the other exciting stuff. So this is more of a vibe review than a deep review...
I already love Americana music. So I'm going into this already expecting to at least like it. But this is my first time listening to Margo Price, so who knows. She is a Nashville queen, and in the end, Strays certainly demonstrates her credibility as country royalty.
"Been to the Mountain" is the perfect song to start things off. It's probably my favorite one on the album. Just the way she screams "take your best shot take your best shot" is just rockstar quality. I love that she starts off her album by basically saying "Don't fuck with me. Liiiike... don't even think about it."
At no point during Strays do I hear anything but authenticity. Overall, the sound meshes country with a bunch of different sounds like classic rock / psychedelic, pop, and singer/songwriter, which is not what I expected, but Price's voice really lends itself to whatever she gets into.
The lyrics are solid, the sound is solid. I do wonder though if this album is more Margo Price exploring other genres and that her earlier stuff might be more, like, classic straight country Margo. Either way, it's got me excited to take a listen to more from her.

No comments:
Post a Comment