Monday, June 26, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 29: Walter

Prompt: "A song in a weird time signature (i.e. not 4/4 or 3/4)"

Selected by Walter


"15 Step"
Radiohead
In Rainbows, 2007

I didn't know what this prompt meant in words, so I had to look it up to figure out how to identify between typically generated songs versus off-measured ones. In a previous song I selected, I noted the binaural sound it had. So, I figured I'd pull from the Radiohead library for this prompt as well, since they often throw in all sorts of time measures. "15 Step" by Radiohead rips fast, but feels slow and calm with Yorke's soft voice. It feels a bit alien throughout, which I can't quite put my finger on as to the cause. This is probably a multi-variate puzzle that make me feel like I'm not of this earth.

@Joe — This song may resonate you for the sobriety days you're working through. No pressure to listen to this, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this song. What do you think "15 Step" means? How does this play into the theme of this prompt being about weird time signatures? Could we be living multiple lives at once, or able to vacillate across an axis (maybe multiple?), at changing phases? Can we leave space for the potential that we may be multiple people at once, and sometimes these multitudes feel dissonance between one another during the transition from one to the another? How fast do these transitions happen? Can we control them?! What's love got to do with it? How can we love our various inner-selves, and then explode that out to the rest of the world?! Is it possible to absorb this love from the world, and implode it into our individual selves?!

This one is dedicated to you, Joe K***. You're doing amazing work. Keep your eye on the ball man! (What the fuck does that mean?!) At the same time, ***WARNING; UNSOLICITED ADVICE*** be kind to yourself.

No comments: