Thursday, June 22, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 25: Rachel S.

Prompt: "A song that, if the cute person sitting next to you on the bus let you borrow their earbuds and hear this song, you'd be like, 'Damn, this person is cool'"

Selected by Rachel S.


"Slip Away"
Perfume Genius
No Shape, 2017

I sort of HATE this prompt because it feels very Garden State-level cringe, but I do have an answer, so let's just go for it. "Slip Away" by Perfume Genius is the quintessential Main Character Moment song of the last five or so years. Case in point: Booksmart. In the movie of my life, this song is practically a character.

It's kind of impossible to listen to it and not get swept up in the oddity, romanticism, and urgency of the beat pounding against Michael Hadraes' delicate voice. The only downside is that it comes and goes too quickly: two minutes and forty-five seconds. That's it! It's over before it starts, and ooooppps I guess I'm playing it again on repeat.

I know I at least feel cooler when I listen to Perfume Genius, and especially this song. Seeing it live? Honey, you better believe there were yards of silk chiffon, candles, and dark lighting all over that stage.

No comments: