Cynicism + Carly Rae Jepsen = why? Not that artists can't expand on what they do, or explore new territory, but to go from the kind of big stadium pop that breaks your heart à la "I Really Really Really Like You" and "Call Me Maybe" to shoegaze feels like a miss. There are definite highlights in the album, with the leading track being one of them—it almost tricks you into thinking HELL YEAH CRJ IS BACK BABY! What it lacks in heart flutters, it makes up for in the sound I can only describe as "Max-Martin-produced-boy-bands-of-the-'90s nostalgia."
I do find it fascinating that CRJ manages to still carry the IYKYK persona, despite being what many would call a big pop star. Maybe not Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift** levels, but she's what I'd deem a moderate-high household name. But much like the mega divas around which she orbits, she has the kind of diehard fans that will consume and adore whatever she puts out. And I think this album kind of knows that. It's a sort of "this is just for us" vibe. It's not asking for Top 40 or TikTok FYP virality.
She's already proven to have staying power (who didn't think "Call Me Maybe" was a one-hit wonder?), so even if this isn't the dreamy swoonfest of albums past, we at least know she'll be back, hopefully in bolder form.
Ultimately, I think that's what was missing for me. If she was gonna swing away, swing bigger.
**I was astounded to learn that CRJ was 27 when CMM came out. Why didn't anyone give her the same guff about being an adult woman singing about teenage crushes LIKE A CERTAIN POPSTAR?

No comments:
Post a Comment