Friday, January 13, 2023

The Loneliest Time, Sam


It's nice to be nice! That's what this record is: nice. Nice hooks. Nice jokes. Nice length. All very good. I laughed; I grooved; I thoroughly enjoyed many songs and distractedly tolerated the rest. Hard to do! 

It's also hard not to compare this offering with a recent Record Club subject—Taylor Swift's Midnights. Both at times are written with tongue in cheek and involve subject matter that appears a little juvenile for the writer. 

Although Taylor is famously born in 1989, CRJ is only four years her senior. They should be sort of in the same spot in life.

But their outlooks on relationships and life in general are miles a part. Maybe it's because fame came later and lesser for CRJ, she's able to causally joke about failed love without the microscope of the world on her. Taylor has such a forced irony that feels uncomfortable. Whereas CRJ almost evokes Rachel Bloom levels of silliness with her lyrics that still are incisive. 

Playing the album in the car this week, I was actually able to get my daughters to like it! Though Maggie did ask me if CRJ is dead and when will I die, so that part is a negative. My wife Hannah also liked the smoothness of the album. 

All in all, solid stuff.

No comments: