Monday, September 2, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 128: Nate

Prompt: "Your 2024 SONG OF THE SUMMER"

Selected by Nate


"I'm All Fucked Up"
This Is Lorelei
Box for Buddy, Box for Star, 2024

Other contenders:
  • "Bad News" by Hovvdy — ineligible for this exercise due to its rule about repeats.
  • "She's Leaving You" by MJ Lenderman — ineligible for this exercise due to its rule about repeats.
  • "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog — ineligible here for my own stupid reasons.
  • "Game of Pricks" by Guided by Voices — ineligible, this is the song of our LIVES.
  • "Not Like Us" by Kenrick Lamar — Man, has there ever been a more vicious pop song? I'm sure there are contenders, but I cannot remember so many people calling someone a pedophile. Is "pedophile" the last main stream cultural taboo, the one thing all people of all stripes can agree must be maligned and clipped from the stem? My uncle thinks the re-brand and acceptance of the idea is coming soon, and maybe I'm just getting older, but I can understand how he comes to that perspective, even if I don't agree. Tell you what though, shit's a stepper.
  • "HOT TO GO!" by Chappell Roan — After my nth listen to this song, I realized it was basically an LCD Soundsystem song, and the whole album just opened up for me. It's still a little bit Meg Trainor for me at times, but it's been a fun one to hang with. Were I still in an active band, we'd be covering the hell out of this song.
  • "Chick New Wave" by Shellac — I joined the YMCA a month ago and have been slowly sliding back into weightlifting, hardest possible recommend of this song for that purpose.
Anyway, I played this song about once every 32 hours between when I first heard it in June, up to and including right now, so I think this takes the cake. Congrats to This Is Lorelei.

1 comment:

Joe K said...

The pedophile conversation is an interesting one. I don't know if I agree with the potential rebranding. It just feels like conservatives have leaned on the "you're a pedophile" argument so heavily in recent years to justify their rabid homophobia and transphobia that it would be difficult for them to roll that back. I deleted a bunch of other words about this because it feels like this conversation should be happening somewhere else besides the comment section of a indie rock song blog post on Labor Day morning.