Prompt: "Is it even a song? It's... yes, it's a song. Maybe."
Selected by Allison
"Ranky Tanky"
Ranky Tanky
Ranky Tanky, 2017
Riding my bike to the pool in a bathing suit could have been a scene from my childhood. No mom prodded me awake this morning, so that's different. Peddling the two miles to the gym. I'm doing this because I want to, I remind myself. It's colder than I expected. Cold but humid. Cold, but I'm already sweating. It's going to be different this time, I convince myself. Ten people are already swimming when I get there. More than I hoped. Two in each lane. Don't panic. Pick a lane and start. You have every right to be here and take up space. Just start, and you'll figure it out. You did this for years. My brain remembers the motions, my body is struggling. Stroke, stroke, breathe? Do I breathe on the same side or alternate? Keep kicking. Exhale through your nose. Can everyone see me struggle? Keep kicking. Don't stop. Eyes on your own lane. Keep going at your own pace. It's going to be different this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment