Thursday, September 19, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 135: Sara

Prompt: "A song that literally mentions some type of spice"

Selected by Sara


"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)"
Edison Lighthouse
Already, 1971

Two separate thoughts here. One, I’m going to give you all a basil salt recipe to use up those extras from your garden. Two, please just stay away from the comment section of this song if you easily cry. It’s essentially old men talking about how much they love and miss their dead wives. I assume Nate will be fine to venture. 

Basil Salt 
  • 1 cup salt
  • 2 cups basil
  • Food processor or blender
  • Baking sheet
  • Parchment paper
Make sure your basil is washed and dried. Set your oven to 250 degrees.

Combine salt and basil in a food processor and pulse until basil leaves are fine. Spread the mixture out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until all the mixture is dry. Keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t burn. Once baked, if you'd like a finer seasoning, place back in the food processor to pulse. You can store this for up to a year. 

Use on fresh tomatoes, pastas, chicken, or whatever your heart desires. 

This recipe can be recreated with other spices such as rosemary, oregano, or cilantro. You can also easily size it up and down for yourself by just maintaining a 2-to-1 herb-to-salt ratio.

1 comment:

Nate said...

If my wife were to die and I were to live, I do wonder what song would set me off on a cascade of sadness, or if any would. She's never been huge into music, but there are some bands that I think of when I think of her. Let's check on this in, say, 40 years or so, then play "House that Used to Be" by the Old 97s and see what happens. I also think it's very possible I become the kind of old man who cries a lot (making up for lost time).