On the one hand, this has been a great walk-around-in-a-field-on-vacation album. You can see the stars in the country, much like the album art, which has a certain magic in and of itself. "Compliments" has the right rhythm and energy to be interesting and fun. The band and album have the right aesthetic to hit right in my wheelhouse, ostensibly. I realize this is a band I've been vaguely familiar of for years, from Conan to algorithmic playlists to whatever, but having never listened to a full album before, all of it's quite fine and very listenable.
On the other hand, a lot of songs sound like "Compliments." This was a RC album so much in my ostensible wheelhouse that I also felt myself, in real time, thinking I'd likely forget much of it and move on after a week or two. None of the tracks gripped me that hard ("NW Apt." has some drive), and without the personal connection from youth, there were no psychic hand holds. Maybe you needed to be there, or maybe I just didn't quite hit the wavelength this week. Album's totally fine though, it's amazing that horses can play guitars and drums and stuff.

No comments:
Post a Comment