Saturday, September 21, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 136: Brianna

Prompt: "A song that's probably gonna be in that new Grand Theft Auto game, whenever it comes out (unless it's already out, I don't know, I'm writing this prompt pretty far in advance)"

Selected by Brianna


Nappy Roots
The Humdinger, 2008

I never played GTA before, as we were a Nintendo family through and through, but I can relate to the pain of waiting for the next iteration of a beloved game. For me, the long wait has been for a three-quel to the Banjo-Kazooie series. 

Unlike GTA, there is no official word on this ever happening, so I suppose the wait is mostly a fault of my own making. But like, what the heck? If there can be seventeen (SEVENTEEN!) Grand Theft Autos out there, why can't there be three Banjo-Kazooies?? Are we not deserving of such happiness? 

Thank God Nintendo had at least the sense to add a version of the OG game in their N64 expansion pack for Switch. A version I downloaded immediately and grinded through at a pace even I was surprised by. I must admit, however, that the experience only added fuel to my desires. Like a drunken text from an ex you still think about, the brief encounter with Mumbo Jumbo and friends had me wading even deeper into the pool of pining nostalgia.

My only hope is that some head developer at Rare is secretly a Puke on Your Birthday reader. If you're out there, Mayles brothers, please hear my plea and answer my prayers! The people want Banjo Threeie! We want it now!

1 comment:

Joe K said...

The mysteries surrounding the Stop 'n' Swop eggs and passcodes was probably the most I've ever been into a video game in my life.