Prompt: "A song for which you could easily name 100 reasons why you love the song"
Selected by Brianna
"Antarctica"
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Flight b741, 2024
Sometimes I'm late for a YSC submission because I simply can't figure out what to write about or what song to choose. Other times it's because life is simply too busy and I just don't have a second to do it.
Day 137 was kind of a mix of both. I had challenged myself to write the full 100 things and put off doing so until I could relisten to the song second by second to accomplish the task with a little more ease. But then, as it does, time caught up to me, and I just couldn't do it. I blame the Back to School Night / Irish Weekend combo week I had leading up to Monday.
I don't plan on making this entire writing experience one big excuse, so let me move on to the important part here: what would be #1 reason I love this song so much in a list of 100. It's sing-along-ability.
Not always a trait in the world of King Gizz, this trait is one I so desperately appreciate about the new album as a whole. I could talk for days about the instrumentals of any given song on any band's album but it would be hard to discuss my actual favorite moments without mentioning how I love to sing along with them. In fact, I even created a whole Spotify album with my favorite songs to sing with (called "Belters") for car rides where I just went to let loose—one I visit on a weekly basis of course.
"Antarctica" has a lot of moments I enjoy to belt along with, and I would assume that if I followed through with my challenge of 100, a lot of that list would involve various lyrics and vocals parts that resonated with me the most. For one, the "put it on ice" lines in the final verses of the song scratch that musical itch in my brain like no other. The whole song just goes to show that even tough topics like climate change (a King Gizz constant) don't have to be depressing mope-fests.
No comments:
Post a Comment