Prompt: "A song that adds a little spice to your life"
Selected by Sunny
"Major Tom (Coming Home)"
Shiny Toy Guns
Girls Le Disko, 2009
For some reason my mind keeps serving me "Mambo No. 5" for this prompt. Basically this tweet in real life, or whatever. I looked on YouTube for spicier covers, but was served hot garbage instead. So folks, listen to Lou Bega today, and that's all I really have to say about that.
I briefly met two Montreal-ans (is that the right word?) last week who I'm still thinking about. People whose current life situations are so different from mine that I tend to use their situation as a lens to reflect on the greater lot of life, for better or worse. I was also thinking about JMK's post the other day about his old teacher, Mrs. Swoyer, and the general fragility of life. Real vacation hours for me.
The first Montreal-an was on the way out of a golden retriever dog farm. We just finished playing with eight golden puppies and three adult dogs—vacation in the farmland stuff. There were a lot of people there for birthdays, special occasions, whatever.
Well, on our way out, we passed by a couple, probably late 50s or early 60s, slowly sauntering back to their car. Just by the nature of them walking slowly, we ended up walking part of the way to the parking lot and chatting it up. Three of us talked with the gentleman about a fancy dinner we had in Montreal which he really lit up about. As I get older, I've noticed my hobbies (outside of writing on this blog) have reduced down to nice dinners and talking about said nice dinners. We talked about fries, chateaubriand, corn cake. We shared why we were at this golden dog puppy farm—us on vacation, him for his birthday. We wished him a happy birthday, cheerily from both sides, and waved him goodbye.
Meanwhile, Kelsey was speaking with the wife, walking maybe 25 feet behind us. Once we all got into our car, she shared that the wife and her also had an interesting conversation. Yes, it is the man's birthday, and yes, they did come here for his birthday. Also, it's likely his last birthday, as the man is "riddled with cancer." My brain shunt trying to put together this dude talking about french fries and beef and expressing joy while being terminal, right in front of my eyes. And had no one told me, I would never have known. But maybe that was the point.
Another time, now actually in Montreal, I was walking down Rue Bullion with the whippet and heard French singing from afar. Eventually I saw an older man, maybe 60s or 70s, walking down the street with a robust walking stick accompanied by an older dog in a red bowtie. The two of them, sniffing and singing, were a focal point on this otherwise quiet, morning-sun drenched street.
My knee gut reaction, forged by many years in the States, was to keep distance and ignore, though I was curious. It was he who came up to me with his dog and his song and made polite conversation. He switched to English for my benefit. His dog entertained mine, he talked about the weather, and all he really asked was our names, because he then started incorporating the names into his stream of consciousness song. He was a pretty good singer for some random dude. Was he homeless? Homeless like the homeless in Burlington? Homeless like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins or Caine in Kung Fu? Or was he just retired, living his best life, on his morning walk? Something about him sharing a smile and a song and a dog with a bowtie brought a little unexpected joy for the day. I oft find it hard to express gratitude in day to day life, but here was a small moment of gratitude for the simplicity of gentle community.
I also heard this "Major Tom" cover in one of the gift shoppes in Montreal. I think I saw it on a Hyundai commercial a decade ago. Percetly "ok" song, though it's certainly no Lou Bega.
3 comments:
Great post, this one touched me. The golden retriever farm story could be turned into a misty-eyed film.
Angela — also riddled with cancer
Pamela — kicking around in Tempe, AZ, teaching a pilates class
Sandra — car crash, 2012
Rita — owns 6 cats, has cataracts
Monica — never got over the tryst with Lou, lifetimes ago
Erica — heart attack
Tina — greeter at Home Depot
Mary — stroke
Jessica — unknown
That Mambo No 5. / Ed Sheeran video is a great sin to bring upon us.
Post a Comment