Prompt: "Your favorite Disney song"
Selected by Boober
"The Hula Song"
Timon (voiced by Nathan Lane) ft. Pumba (voiced by Ernie Sabella)
from The Lion King, 1994
Okay, so, 51 prompts in, and y'all learn I'm a huge Disney nerd. Maybe I'm not the kind of guy who takes weeklong extravagant vacations to Disney World, but instead that type that spends the week watching someone's house/dogs.
I know too many words to too many Disney songs. I'm gonna do a list of favorite songs from all the Disney movies I like.
I think we have over 800 Disney movies. I have a list from one to 800 online in order of when they came out, so I'm gonna go over the ones I like / actually know. There are a lot of random Disney movies that no one has ever heard of, so I'm not gonna go find a song from those movies.
I already know The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Mulan, Moana, Tangled. The 1990-2010 era is too hard, so many heaters. I'll try and include all the classics.
- Snow White — "Heigh-Ho"
- Pinocchio — "When You Wish upon a Star"
- Fantasia — "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"!
- The Reluctant Dragon — No clue
- Dumbo — "Pink Elephants on Parade"
- Bambi — "Exploring"
- Cinderella — "Little Dressmakers Song," "The Mice Song"
- Alice in Wonderland — "The Mad Tea Party"
- Robin Hood — "Oo-De-Lally"!
- Peter Pan — I hate Peter Pan. I added this because maybe it's someone's favorite movie, and I didn't wanna leave it out in case I was missing anything, but listening to this soundtrack... ass.
- Lady and the Tramp — "Siamese Cat Song"
- Sleeping Beauty — finale... Idk what it's called, it sounds like a song you would hear in a carousel... "I know you, you walked with me once upon a dream..."
- Swiss Family Robinson — what the hell is even this
- 101 Dalmatians — "Cruella de Vil"
- The Sword and the Stone — no song, just a solid '60s movie…
- Mary Poppins — "Supercalifragilistic—"..... you know what I’m trying to spell
- The Jungle Book — "I Wan'na Be like You"!
- The Aristocats — "Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat"!
- Winnie the Pooh — Winnie the Pooh theme song
- The Fox and the Hound — "Best of Friends"
- Oliver and Company — "Why Should I Worry?"!
- The Little Mermaid — "Part of Your World" > "Kiss the Girl" > "Under the Sea"
In the '50s, '60s, and '70s, there was a lot of skips. So from The Little Mermaid on, I'm not gonna put the movies in the chronologic order they were released. Too many garbage movies no one has ever heard of.
Okay, stretch break over.
- Beauty and the Beast — "Belle" > "Beauty and the Beast" > "Be Our Guest" > "Something There." "Belle" is the song I have more fun singing, then "Be Our Guest." Angela Lansbury in "Beauty and the Beast" makes me tear up every time though. First tough one I've had all night...
- Aladdin — "A Whole New World" > "Friend like Me" > "Prince Ali"
- Homeward Bound — whatever song is playing when Shadow limps over the hill
- The Nightmare Before Christmas — "What's This?"
- The Lion King — This one is impossible. My favorite movie of all time. The tracklist
- "Circle of Life," certified banger
- "I Just Can’t Wait to Be King," 10/10
- "Be Prepared," flashback to my "Hellfire" post. I love a good villain.
- "Hakuna Matata," I'll do Timon, Pumba, and Simba as parts in karaoke
- "Can You Feel The Love Tonight," let me reprise each character from the previous song and Nala.
- "This Land"
- "...To Die For"
- "Under the Stars"
- "King of Pride Rock"
- Then hit me with all the Elton John covers... shit, Elton and Phil Collins really did something for Disney in '90s/2000s
- Goofy Movie — "I 2 I"
- Pocahontas — "Colors of the Wind" > "Just Around the Riverbend" > "Savages"
- Toy Story — "You've Got a Friend in Me"
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame — "Out There" > "Hellfire"
- Hercules — "Go the Distance," Michael Bolton > anything else
- Mulan — "I'll Make a Man Out of You"
- A Bug's Life — just putting this because it's a good movie.
- Tarzan — Damn this is tough... "Two Worlds," "You'll Be in My Heart," "Strangers like Me," how can you even pick? Thank you, Phil, for this masterpiece.
- Toy Story 2 — "Woody's Roundup"
- Dinosaur — this is here because we hit the year 2000 on the list, and this is a solid movie. Lots of haters, but I'll vouch for this one, especially if you have a young kid who likes dinosaurs.
- The Emperor's New Groove — No song. Score is good, but not a great soundtrack. Solid movie, 10/10 eh pacha
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? — "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" > "I'll Fly Away"
- Monsters Inc. — "If I Didn't Have You," watch this movie if you haven't. You're missing out.
- Lilo & Stitch — This is another tough one... "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride," obviously all the Elvis stuff in this movie is awesome, but this song takes it for me.
- Spirited Away — No songs here for right now, but I didn't know this was Disney. My son and I have been watching some Studio Ghibli, and he has been loving it. Solid movie.
- Finding Nemo — "Somewhere Beyond the Sea"
- Pirates of the Caribbean — the theme song
- Brother Bear — "On My Way," just watched this with my three-year-old nephew today. Let me tell you, it was lost on him how good of a movie this is. Kids these days are spoiled.
- Home on the Range — "Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo"
- The Incredibles — Another movie without any songs
- Ratatouille — Nothing needs to be said. Stop what you're doing, and go watch this movie.
- Tangled — "I've Got a Dream"
- The Muppet Movie — "Rainbow Connection"
- Brave — "Touch the Sky" > "Into the Open Air"
Somewhere above I missed: Cars, Narnia, Wall-E, Bolt, Up, Remember the Titans, sequels to the Pirates movies, and some other sequels. Toy Story sequels are all movies I would recommend to someone looking for movies to watch.
Some more missing ones: Wreck-It Ralph, all the Marvel movies, Monsters University, Big Hero 6. Just rewatched Big Hero 6... I kind of wanna cry again. Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Zootopia, and all the new Star Wars movies.
- Frozen — "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" > "In Summer" > "Let It Go"
- Moana — Finally, another hard one. "Where You Are" > "How Far I'll Go" > "You're Welcome." This was a movie that came out as my kids were a little older that I was excited to see. Story and music in this brought me back to being a child watching Disney movies. 10/10
- Coco — "Remember Me"
- Soul — "Born to Play"
- Encanto — "The Family Madrigal" > "We Don't Talk About Bruno" > "Surface Pressure"
I just watched Wish with my nephew this weekend, and I don't remember any songs that stuck out. Wish would probably be like #850.
Also I didn't include the songs from remakes. The new Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid. Not really wasting my time listening to songs that were already done well.
You would think I'd have a favorite after writing all of this, but it's been a ploy. I was thinking after listening to all the Disney movies I'd have narrowed it down...
I'm somewhere between: "Be Prepared" and "Hanuka Matata" from The Lion King; "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast; "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid; "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan.
Ok.
I've actually decided.
The Lion King is my favorite movie. And this song I know all the words to and always puts a smile on my face.
"What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?!"
"LUAU!"
2 comments:
I feel like I have a lot to say here, but I'll whittle it down to one observation: I did not know that O Brother Where Art Thou? was technically Disney until you submitted this list, and even if it's true, it seems like a wild outlier among the other movies here.
It was on the list of all Disney movies.
It might’ve been universal? And Disney bought the rights to it?
It is on Disney plus.
I have a lot to say about Disney. This felt like a lot of me rambling but I just opened Spotify and played each soundtrack for the first 100 or so and thought holy crap I have 2 days to write this
No way I’m listening to all of these obscure movies no one has ever heard of.
Post a Comment