OK Computer—the only Radiohead album I have listened to in its entirety—is closer to what I think of when I think of this band's music. That said, In Rainbows was a welcome change. I quite liked this album. Admittedly, a lot of the lyrics elude me—some due to my lack of direct attention and some due to Thom Yorke's lack of annunciation—but I found myself responding largely to the overall vibes of this record. Many songs managed to evoke conflicting/contrasting emotions with intentionality, and in a way that never felt disconcerting or uncomfortable. The album provided a safe space to just be in the moment and let my emotions wash over me. There are some obvious standout songs, but I think this is the type of album that is better experienced as a whole, so I'll refrain from listing personal favorites. I fully accept that this review is heavily influenced by the week I have had, but this album was a much-needed catharsis. Thanks, Radiohead.
4 out of 5 Weird Fishes

No comments:
Post a Comment