Prompt: "A song performed by someone who isn't necessarily known as a musician first"
Selected by Brianna
"Let Me Down Easy"
Daisy Jones & the Six
Aurora, 2023
When my mom and the entire internet told me I must watch the new limited series on Prime loosely inspired by Fleetwood Mac, I gave it the usual "I'll add it to the list!" and moved on. It felt like a cheesy ripoff when looking in from the outside.
Later, I was stuck in a TV rut and popped in on a desperate plea for entertainment. Sometimes you just don't want to keep scrolling, you know? Well, consider this my formal apology to Mom and anyone I doubted because this show sucked me in real quick. Something about a limited series, man, they always find a way to grab me! It was actually the sequence where the fictitious Six record "Let Me Down Easy" that had me a certified fan. Hence, its selection today. Something about the relationships at play, the back and forth of the lead vocals, the desert rock instrumentals—I would've enjoyed this song even if it existed outside of the story it's a part of.
The album, recorded in its entirety as a companion piece to the show, obviously falls short of the masterpiece it's inspired by. How does one even begin to step out of the shadow of Fleetwood Mac? Even Riley Keough, with grandaddy Elvis's genes at play, didn't stand a chance musically (though the costume department sure got the fashion down pat).
The trick is to not make comparisons. Keep the two separate in your mind. Trust me, a once-doubter myself. Just sit back and enjoy Daisy Jones and her pals for what they are: a made-up band with a couple of easy-on-the-ears hits. It’s easier that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment