Prompt: "A song about a tree"
Selected by Sara
"Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"
KT Tunstall
Eye to the Telescope, 2004
Woohoo! Woohoo! Did you sing it just like KT Tunstall in your head? I really hope so. I was hoping to make a joke about not understanding the lyrics at fifteen and how I shouldn't have been singing them, but honestly I don't understand them today either. So, let's talk about cherry trees.
Cherry trees are fruiting trees that produce the stone fruit known as a cherry. Delicious small pitted fruit. Best known for sitting on top of a sundae. Originally indigenous to western Asia, Northern Africa and some of Europe, the cherry tree was likely introduced to North America in 1606. A cherry tree will take up to four years to yield its first crop, and up to seven to fully mature. Owning an orchard is a long game.
The most well-known reference of the cherry tree is the story of George Washington chopping down his father's cherry tree. He receives his first hatchet at six years old and proceeds to hack away at dad's favorite fruit tree. When confronted by his father, Washington said "I cannot tell a lie... I did cut it with my hatchet." Making him the most honest and wonderful founding father and first president a nation could ask for. This myth is only a myth and not true. The story of the cherry tree came from Washington's first biographer in the fifth edition of the book! But I thought all American history was good and true as is! Hope you all enjoyed a few tidbits about cherry trees.
No comments:
Post a Comment