Thursday, April 25, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 51: Pat

Prompt: "Your favorite Disney song"

Selected by Pat


"A Professional Pirate"
Long John Silver (Tim Curry) and the Pirates
Muppet Treasure Island: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 1996

Let's not get bogged down in what properly constitutes a "Disney song." There's enough controversy on the Internet already. This movie was produced by Walt Disney Pictures. Good enough for me.

Let's instead focus on how good this fucking song is. It's stirring, its lyrics are about the moral complexity of robbery on the high season, and it features World Heritage Person Tim Curry. 

For more than a decade, my wife, my sister, Taco, and I have had a running joke / plan to do a group costume called "The Curry-osity Carnival," where each of us goes as a different Tim Curry character. I called dibs on Long John Silver around 2013. We are always accepting applications.

5 comments:

sunny said...

Application's in the mail; I have a Premier Cherdenko costume I've been working on.

Pat said...

Excellent. So we have a Long John, a Premier Cherdenko, a
Nigel Thornberry
, a concierge from Home Alone 2, and a big horn guy from Legend.

Still looking for a Dr. Frank-N-Furter (obviously), a Pennywise, and a Ben Ravencroft.

Nate said...

"You'll receive the Order of Lenin for this!" Me, to Pat, when I'm in the damn Curryfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MstHgdGjqs

Sara said...

The Curry-osity Carnival is giving the same energy as RUSSELMania

Joe K said...

Checking in late with the blog today, hope I didn't miss my chance to apply. I will be dressing as Mr. Cooper, from the hit mid-'90s ABC sitcom Hangin' with Mr. Cooper (starring Mark Curry as Mr. Cooper).